professional tooling used

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Butch_Y

professional tooling used

Post by Butch_Y »

What tooling do professional pipe makers use? I can see many crucial areas that require more than just a skilled hand to work around. Do you use the Pimo tools or are there better?

Mostly what I am after is making the Tenon/Mortise/Airway much more precise in a more timely manner. What I do now is (after drilling the airway) square off the shank face and then use a shorter squared tenon from a scrap stem and spin it in the mortise. this leaves a small black ring on the shank face. If its a complete ring i am done but if its broken I file off the black and spin again. Very time consuming but also very precise if your stem/tenon is perfectly squared. (did that make sense?)

Also, because of any slight drill drift in the airway, the resulting angle of the stem inserted into the pipe is usually off by a couple degrees. I try adjusting this by using my drill set and (by hand) step thru the sizes till I get the proper mortise size. Doing it by hand allows me to adjust the angle with every step.

I have heard good and bad with Pimo. I do not want to spend any cash on needless tooling (I have enough of that already :cry: ) but I also have no issues spending cash on tools that I can use the rest of my life.

I'm sure I can come up with my own methods, ie: better drilling jigs and endmills for mortises would be my answer, but i would rather use what's being used and not waste time re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks.
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Short answer: a metal lathe.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

In my opinion, the PIMO tenon turning tool is ok for someone making an occasional pipe. It takes a lot of fiddling and adjusting to get a proper tenon size and I usually wasted a stem or two trying to get it right. There are other tenon turning tools available, but PIMO is the only one I've tried. Tim West http://www.jhlowe.com sells one, as does http://www.pipemakers.org but I've not used either of them.

I use Delrin for tenons so my equipment is geared to that. I use a precision ground 1 1/2" Forstner bit to square the shank, the end of the stem, and the top of the bowl. A small forstner bit to drill mortises(size depends on the size of Delrin used), a tapered 5/32" bit to drill the stem, and a hex shank 5/32" bit to drill the airway in the stummel. I do all my drilling on a Delta Midi Lathe with a Oneway Talon chuck.
I'm sure I can come up with my own methods, ie: better drilling jigs and endmills for mortises would be my answer, but i would rather use what's being used and not waste time re-inventing the wheel.
We all re-invent something to suit our own way of doing things so go for it! :thumb:

David
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

If turning a tenon I use a taig metal lathe. They are small and work nicely for stem work. I also use it to drill ebonite rod, turn and just about all other stem work.

However, I have not turned a tenon in a year or more. I use 5/16" delrin rod glued into the end of the ebonite (you could do this with a molded stem as well in a drill press). Basicly the steps go like this:

1. Drill 5/32" hole in delrin rod cut to length.

2. Cut several small rings with 1/16" parting tool in the end of the delrin to be inserted into stem. This is done so that the epoxy will have a mechanical hold on the delrin as delrin will not adhere to the glue very well on its own.

3. Face the ebonite rod or molded stem.

4.Drill mortise and airway in ebonite rod or molded stem (if using molded stem you will need to cut any tenon portion off)

5. Glue delrin tenon into mortise (stem not pipe :D ) with 5 min 2 part epoxy

6. Remove excess glue and wait 45 minutes or so before machining or fitting into the pipe.

I use the taig micro lathe for all of this but I do not see why it could not be done with forester bits (for facing off ends) on a wood lathe or in a drill press.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

ArtGuy wrote: I use the taig micro lathe for all of this but I do not see why it could not be done with forester bits (for facing off ends) on a wood lathe or in a drill press.
Thats the way I do it with a wood lathe! :thumb:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

There's no "list of pipe makers tools" outside of the basics. And even that changes from maker to maker. There is no simple answer, and the long answers would be pretty tedious to type in over lunch. :)

Honestly? The tools I use every day for making pipes are an oddball collection of items that I decided upon over about 3 years of trial and error. And my collection is going to be redically different from Rad's. Who's collection is going to be very different from Jack Howell's. You really need to experiemnt with it a little to see what works best for you.

I've written a couple articles for the Pipe Collector, with two focusing on tooling. Looks like only part two is available on the website though:
http://www.naspc.org/odyssey_2.html
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

As far as general tooling goes this is what I use..

Band Saw
Taig Micro Lathe
Jet Midi Lathe (w/ oneway scroll chuck + #2 profile tower jaws)
Disk Sander (exclusivly for squaring blocks)

I do all my drilling, shaping and buffing on the Jet.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

All, here's my articles from The Pipe Collector. I found them archived in my mail to Bill Unger. I hope they prove helpful somehow:
A Pipe Maker's Odyssey: Tools Of The Trade (part 1)

Every beginning pipe maker has the same question, "What tools do I need to make a pipe?". However, the answer to that isn't as clear as most folks hope it will be. An appropriate first response, and an incredibly nebulous one as well, is that you will need: a tool to shape the wood, one to drill the holes, a couple to make the stem, some to sand the whole thing smooth, some odd ones to put on a finish, and a tool to buff and polish. Additionally, if you're rusticating pipes, you'll need tools for that as well. Sometimes you can combine tools - like the one used to shape the stummel can also be used to shape the stem, or to sand the pipe smooth once it's shaped. Usually though, unless you're really pressed for space or are *very* good with a given tool, you're going to want a few tools, and some of them will be one-trick ponies. The best way to go about this might be to go through the process, and describe the tools you can use for each step along the way. However, because this got very wordy, I'm going to split this up into two articles - one that covers the stummel and the stem, and one that takes it through final polish.

Drilling the holes:
Most people, when asked what tool they should use to drill holes in a block of wood, will tell you to get a drill press. That is certainly a good choice here, and many pipe makers use one. However, you will find that a great number of pipe makers actually use a lathe to drill their holes. While not strictly necessary, the use of a lathe makes aligning the holes a snap, and it's easier to peer down into the tobacco chamber to make sure that you haven't overshot the draught hole. Also, if you're making shapes like bulldogs, billiards, or apples, a lathe makes shaping the top half of the bowl easy. The minimum lathe you'll need is something like the Jet Mini Lathe or Delta Midi Lathe - these are good starting points and are nearly identical units. If you asked me what to use, I'd say lathe. However, the entry price is in the $400 to $600 range after everything is said and done, putting them out of reach of most hobbyists. A drill press can be had for about $100, and fits more budgets. Drill presses are certainly useful, and I used one for about a year before getting a lathe. The main advantage of a lathe over a drill press is time savings. It takes significantly less time to line things up on a lathe than it does a drill press - barring exotic jigs and fixtures. This also depends on your preference and needs as not everyone needs a lathe, or wants to learn to use one.
Once you've decided on what to use to drive the drill bits, you need to decide on those. For the mortis, PIMO sells a tool called the "combination mortis drill bit & shank-end square". What this tool does is drill out the mortis at the same time that it's cutting the end of the shank square to the mortis. Carpenters and cabinetmakers will know this tool by the name "counterbore" - which it is. It's a 5/16" short drill bit with a 7/8" counterbore from Fuller Tool. Alternatively, you can cut the shank end and the mortis separately. Just use a drill bit, or a Forstner bit, of whatever size you decide for the mortis (5/16" or 1/4" are common). To square the shank end, a precision ground Forstner bit is a great tool.
The tobacco chamber is a different beast, since you want the chamber rounded at the bottom, and without a conical shoulder that a large drill bit will give you. Again, PIMO to the rescue, with a set of three custom-ground bits in popular sizes. These are re-ground spade bits, and if you have a steady hand and a keen eye, you can make your own with little trouble. You can get similar bits from Tim West at his pipemakers supply website - www.jhlowe.com. Ken Lamb (www.lambpipes.com) also makes reground drill bits, but his are precision ground silver and deming bits. For those just starting out, I suggest the bits from PIMO or J.H. Lowe.

Shaping the stummel:
Here you have an array of choices for tools, some of which are more multi-roll than others. As I mentioned above, you can use your lathe to shape the top half of the stummel. Once your holes are drilled you can use a band saw to trim away excess material so that you don't turn all that extra wood into dust, and keep your workshop cleaner in the process. You can also use a regular hand saw and a vise to remove that material, all depending on your budget and available space.
Once you've got the block trimmed, you need to shape it the rest of the way into a stummel. For this step, a lot of pipe makers will turn to a sanding or grinding disc. The type of disc or wheel is so varied that it's impossible to name them all, but suffice to say that the disc needs to be slightly flexible, or it needs to be padded. Mount your disc on an electric motor, your lathe, or a hand drill held in a jig.
You can also use a stationary belt sander/grinder for this step - which some makers prefer (including yours truly). Some belt sanders even come with a sanding disc attachment, but this type of sanding disc is less than optimal for shaping. You need to be able to sand all the way up the edge of the disc, and even have the edge available for getting into tight spaces. What grit should it be? Start with 36-grit and move up if you find it too aggressive. I use a 60-grit 2 inch wide belt most days, however I will use a 80-grit belt from time to time.
You can also employ a most uncommon tool for shaping wood - a rotary hand tool like a Dremel or Foredom. There are pipe makers that use this type of tool almost exclusively, and they make excellent use of it. If you're really pressed for space, you may consider this tool. You will also want a selection of files for shaping in the tight areas, or if you prefer to do the entire thing by hand. Files are indispensable, and even in a workshop full of power tools, I have about half a dozen files out and in use at any given point. These are must-have toools, and no matter what other tools you choose, get a bunch of different sizes and shapes of files.

Making the stem tenon:
Here we wander into territory that befuddles every single pipe maker who's just starting out. How do you make a tenon? Tools needed for this range from a simple tenon tool from PIMO, all the way up to a metal lathe. How involved your tooling is, is largely dependent upon how involved you want to be in stem manufacturing. For starters, I strongly suggest that you consider using pre-molded stems, and using the PIMO tenon tool to fit them to your stummels. You can use the tenon tool with a drill press or a lathe, and it takes a lot of the guesswork out of cutting a tenon.
A metal lathe makes tenon cutting even easier, and faster. A wood lathe can be used, but you need to be very skilled in order to effectively cut tenons with one. Or, you can eschew cutting tenons altogether, and use pre-made tenons or create tenons out of material known to be a certain size. Delrin, for instance, is used by a several pipe makers I know, and I use it exclusively. Whether you use factory-made stems, or you cut your own from vulcanite or acrylic rod, the method and tools for creating the tenon can be identical.

Shaping the stem:
If you do cut your stems from rod stock, your files will prove absolutely indispensable. Also, the method you use for rough shaping your stummel is likely to be the most effective and intuitive tooling for carving your stem.
In addition, a metal lathe (or even a wood lathe) can be used to shape "freehand" stems - the kind normally seen on a typical Danish freehand. Balls, beads, and other decorative shaping are very easy to do with a metal lathe, and are nearly impossible without a lathe of some kind.
A Dremel will also prove very useful for cutting the slot, the button, or minor tweaking of the air passage. You can do this on a drill press or lathe, but a lot of folks prefer the freedom of movement that a Dremel or Foredom provides.

Now you've seen mention of a bunch of tools that can be used to make a pipe. A serviceable and functional pipe, but one that's not as refined and "finished" as it can be. Next article, I'll go through the tools that can be used to take you pipe the rest of the way into something that makes people notice - but for all the right reasons.

A Pipe Maker's Odyssey: Tools of the Trade (part 2)

After the article in the last newsletter, you should have a very good idea of what tools you'll need to to make something roughly pipe-shaped out of a briar hunk and stem. This time around, I'm going to look at the types of tooling you'll need to take that hunk of wood and plastic and put a finish and final polish on it.

Sanding the pipe smooth
Here we come to, seemingly, the most low-tech part of pipe making. However, there are a few choices here as well. You can choose to hand-sand the entire pipe, or you can try to power sand as much of it as you can. In the interest of time, some pipe makers will use sanding discs of increasing grits and do as much as possible that way. A belt sander is typically not preferable here due it's unpadded and aggressive nature (custom-built rigs aside), so I don't suggest attempting this route. You can, however, use the same disc setup that you used to rough shape your stummel, as long as it's padded and non-aggressive. You don't want to create flat spots on your wood, you want to smooth out the ones you created while rough shaping.
Wether you hand sand or use a disc, you will need a selection of grits ranging from whatever you use for rough shaping, up to 600 or 800 grit. You may choose to sand to higher grits when just starting out, but it isn't truly necessary once you get your technique down. Except for stems, those are pesky things to get smooth and scratch free. For stems, consider wet/dry sandpaper in grits up to about 1200.

Rusticating:
Anything that chews wood will be good for this step. Whatever you have laying around your workshop that can be used to make textures will work well - dremel, wire wheel, wood chisels, nails, sand blasters, etc. One tool that has gained popularity is a collection of plumbing bits from your local hardware store, some concrete nails, and all put together in a very medieval looking device that's used to chip chunks away from your briar. More on this tool in a later article, but you can probably find an example without too much trouble just be Googling for "briar rustication". Sand blasters are expensive, and require expensive air compressors, but they render one of the most sought after finishes in pipedom. For this reason, long time pipe makers save their pennies to get these one of these, or at least work deals with other makers that have one.

Staining:
Believe it or not, the tool that gets the most use while applying stain is a pipe cleaner. Some folks will use brushes or cotton daubers, but without a doubt, a pipe cleaner is the most prevalent stain application tool in the trade of pipe carving. A pipe cleaner, folded in half and given a twist, is one of the most accurate tools.

Buffing and polishing:
This is the final step of most pipe making. For this step, a variable speed buffer is very helpful, but you can certainly use a low-speed motor (1725 RPM) with great results. A selection of wheels mounted to arbors and mounted on a lathe can work wonders. However you choose to turn the wheels, you will need one for each step: brown tripoli (linen wheel), white diamond (linen/flannel mix), carnuba (flannel), and final buff (flannel). In addition, you may consider using an aggressive compound like 925 rouge on a linen wheel (or even a felt wheel) as the first step in polishing your stems. Get wheels that are a minimum of 6" in diameter, and no more than 9". The surface speed of larger wheels will be too great, and you will end up burning your wood and removing your finish.

So, at the end of the article, what have we mentioned?
- Drilling holes: drill press or lathe, tobacco chamber bits, forstner bits, regular drill bits
- Shaping the stummel: sanding discs mounted on a motor or lathe, or a belt sander/grinder
- Making the stem tenon: Pimo tool, metal lathe, or the use of delrin tenons
- Shaping the stem: files, the same tool you used to shape the stummel, metal lathe, and/or dremel
- Sanding the pipe smooth: sandpaper of increasing grits up to 600 or 800, possibly a padded sanding disc
- Rustication: anything you have laying around your shop that can chew wood, dremel, wire wheels, specialized tools
- Buffing and polishing: polishing compounds, linen and flannel buffing wheels, something to drive the wheels (lathe, motors, drill press, buffer)

What tools should YOU use? That really depends on you. The reason why there's no One True List of tools to use for making pipes, is because every pipe maker on the planet uses a slightly different load out. No workshop is furnished exactly the same, and every pipe maker uses different techniques. In coming articles, I'll describe in detail the techniques and tools that I've settled upon, and the stumbling blocks I experienced along the way. They might not work for you, but hopefully they'll provide a starting point for your own experimentation, and help you get settled more quickly.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Great articles Kurt! Thanks a bunch for posting those here. I joined NASPC late last year, but I guess that was after your articles.

For what it's worth, I hate the Pimo Tenon Turning Tool. I have one I'd be more than happy to sell cheap if anyone is intersted. It is very usefull with premade stems, but I'd highly recommend going with the Delrin method instead, at least untill you can get a small metal working lathe (See Kurts excellent tutorial on Delrin Tenons at the top of the stem section). Now I'm back to intigrated tenons, which I like better than the Delrin, but I think the Delrin is the best inexpensive solution for getting started.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

Thanks guys,

Sounds like I grab what I can and go with the flow for now. My next steps are to find the stem materials and start working on that. The delrin is the only thing I haven't really worked with and it seems that will be important if I want a band. Factory stems blow big doo doo anyway.

For now I have Menard's cheap tooling. All decent but cheap none-the-less. I'm sure we've all been there. The wood lathe I use is a Wilton. Not bad for $80.00 on sale. It also holds my sanding disk (6" face plate). With modified parallels I can grind relatively square on that.

The Taig sounds like a nice machine. Anyone know where to get one?
I found this to drool over for now...
http://www.knuth.de/frameset_usa.htm?/p ... drehen.htm
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
ckr

Post by ckr »

What tooling do professional pipe makers use?
I hate it when I get left out of a thread! :roll:

Nick Carter sells the Taig's and I can say he is a very upright guy as my purchase had a few problems.

The info is at cartertools.com

There is a pipe makers package that I and others have gotten. However, the jaws on the lathe only expand to 1 1/8 inch. A little small to hold briar.

I also got a oneway talon with tower jaws and purchased adapters for both the Taig and Jet but have not tried briar on the Taig. It is Grrrrreat for stems though.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Wow! I can't believe Nick offers a pipemakers package. Amazing how this hobby is growing.

Tyler
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

Thanks for the link. The Taig looks nice and the price is very affordable. I give it two weeks and I'll have bugged my wife enough to own it. :D

Next:

Will my Supernova2 chuck work with it? I assume so.

What are it's limitations or pitfalls? ie: weak motor? non-hardened steel construction? obscene vibrations? Loose or wiggly lead screws? Travel limits enough for larger pipes? Tailstock alignment?

If you can think of more, please add to or respond.

Thanks
ckr

Post by ckr »

What Nick had said to me was that a large block unevenly weighted could cause the lathe to vibrate and I would assume he is right as I have not tried briar.

The pipe makers package comes with 1 inch risers to increase the distance from bed to center to 3.25 inches and I think you would need stubby chamber bores as there is about 10ish inches between head and tail - it could max out to a bit more. Other than size limits none of what you mentioned is evident except much of it is aluminium (does not appear to be a problem IMHO).

The headscrew is 3/4 16tpi so if it is the same as your supernova great, otherwise your chuck would need an adapter.
I give it two weeks and I'll have bugged my wife enough to own it.
Two weeks! 8O My God, someone needs to take you under thier wing. You better start a new thread in the Off Topic area. :)
Fumo in pace :pipe:
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

Two weeks! My God, someone needs to take you under thier wing. You better start a new thread in the Off Topic area.
Keep in mind, I just spent almost $400.00 on the burl and blocks. Not to mention the crappy 3 blocks I initially started with 3 weeks ago and then purchased 10 more that same day on ebay... She really is quite gracious. :angel:

Too, I'm a patient man. I suppose it really isn't that long to have to wait. Afterall, this is only my third week of pipe making. :lol:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

The Taig is a tiny. It is possible to use for briar, but I would not recommend it. My Delta Midi lathe -- not a large wood lathe -- absolutely dwarfs my Taig. If you buy a Taig hoping for a do-it-all tool I believe you will be disappointed. If all you need is a stem turning tool, it will work well.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Butch_Y wrote:Thanks for the link. The Taig looks nice and the price is very affordable. I give it two weeks and I'll have bugged my wife enough to own it. :D
Don't jump that gun just yet. I don't know of a single professional (i.e. full time) pipe maker tha owns one. If you want to go in that direction, by hook or by crook, you'll want to really consider that move. You really need to consider your *NEEDS* before saying "Oooh, shiny!" and buying a tool. Unless you can afford it, then by all means, please support our economy.
Next:

Will my Supernova2 chuck work with it? I assume so.

What are it's limitations or pitfalls? ie: weak motor? non-hardened steel construction? obscene vibrations? Loose or wiggly lead screws? Travel limits enough for larger pipes? Tailstock alignment?
A SuperNova should fit with the right thread insert.

Limitations:
- it is small
- it is lightweight
- it does not have a lot of tailstock travel

The Jet BD920 is far better lathe.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I've got a Taig. I use it strictly for stems and other very small things. It is NOT suitable for briar. There, I said it 8O

It's far too small and lightweight. If you want a metal lathe for turning briar, you're going to have to spend a whole bunch more money. I use a Jet 9x20 metal lathe (BD920 I think). Needed a bunch of other things to bring it to exactly what I needed, but it's a far better lathe for pipe making than the Taig!

Now, If you can't afford to drop the $$ on the Jet Metal lathe, you can do real well with a small wood lathe and a really good chuck. The chuck is almost as much as the lathe, and then you'll need a good Jacobs chuck and arbor for drilling.

That said, I love the Taig for stems.

Joel
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Tyler wrote:Wow! I can't believe Nick offers a pipemakers package. Amazing how this hobby is growing.

Tyler
Is that our Nick from this website??
ckr

Post by ckr »

Is that our Nick from this website??
Different Nick's.