Best way to rough out a pipe shape

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
sgresso

Best way to rough out a pipe shape

Post by sgresso »

Right now I just used a small wood saw and a dremel tool for the basic shape.
Tomarrow I am working on it with a wood rasp and sand paper.

How do you all start your pipes.

hopefully I can start to get the basic tools here and get a nice small workshop going.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I start by removing as much as I can on the bandsaw, then I move to a belt grinder to remove the rest. I fine tune the shape with a disc sander, and do final sanding there as well. Some rough shaping can be done on the lathe, but that's usually limites to the top of the bowl, and usually just used as a guide for the rest of the shaping.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

My approach is like Kurt's except I move from bandsaw directly to disk sander.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
marks

Post by marks »

I use various methods, depending on the shape I am going to make. Most of the time I use a disc sander. Other times I will use a dremel, files, and sandpaper. If I cut the briar stummel prior to shaping, I use a hacksaw or a coping saw (a band saw would make for faster and more accurate cuts, but if you leave extra material, you can get by without one).

There is no one best way to make a pipe. Everyone does it differently.
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

I think, (imho) if you're new to crafting and carving, your best bet before even starting to carve those blocks would be to just randomly read these forum threads.

Take those blocks and put them on your bench. Polish the outsides a bit so you can see the grain and begin to get an idea of what the wood would like to look like. (it's a druid thing I guess :D ) I believe every piece of briar is willing to talk to you provided you are willing to listen. You don't know it, but you have 3 beautiful pipes already. They're just waiting to be uncovered.

Take your time, don't rush it. You can start smoking the blocks now if you're impatient. I have my first pot that I am always working on if I am not smoking it. :thumb:

I have certainly learned more here than had I purchased any 20 books on pipe mkaing and related topics. It's a ton of information and after a solid month of daily reading I am still discovering more that I missed.
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
sgresso

Post by sgresso »

I think i have read do many threads here in the last week!

tons of great advice and I learned so much yesterday working on my first pipe.