New Lathe

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
jeff

New Lathe

Post by jeff »

Gents,

I tend to have a knack for coming across the right deals at the right time. But, this one appears to have trumped all previous entries into my log.

I've been looking for a small lathe (7x12 or so) for stemwork and stumbled across a little Emco (the Austrian company, not Enco) 5.12x14" for next to nothing. It's in excellent condition, is perfect for the job, and was definitely the right price at $200. :) We can call that a gloat, but I'm happy to share my joy in this discovery. With a quick change post, cutting tools, boring gear, and a drill chuck on the way, this puppy should be up and running for me as soon as I return from Chicago. 8)

Jeff
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, sounds like you really scored on that, Jeff. Congratulations! I have a 7x12 for stem work and love it. I was blessed with getting that as a gift! I also have a 9x20 I use for stummels. It's great to have a dedicated lathes for both stummels and stems. With less change over it allows for tweaking them each out for their specific tasks more precisely. Let us know how it works out for you!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
jeff

Post by jeff »

I actually already have two Jet BD920s, and had been looking for this little one to further specialize their use. Unfortunately, due to shop space only one of my Jets is currently in my shop, the other is in the shop of a friend in AZ (pairing it with another Jet there). When I finally end up moving into a new place I'll be bringing my lathe home so that I have all three set up--one for turning, hand drilling, and stem work. So, for the moment, my BD920 will still do my drilling and turning at home while the EMCO will be responsible for stem work. It will certainly save time thereby making my work more efficient. I'm just stoked to have finally landed one, and I can't wait to get it going for production. :rockon: