Taming the Belt Sander

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
hazmat

Taming the Belt Sander

Post by hazmat »

After many, many... many... failed attempts to tame my belt sander, I finally managed to do so last evening. Every time I'd try to use this thing to rough shape a stem, it would seem to gnash and snarl and tear ugly chunks out of the material and make me want to give it an attitude adjustment with a sledge hammer and sawz-all. Thankfully it never came to that because last night, after a bit of gentle experimentation, it bent to my will like a well-trained and loving canine. I was so happy that I think I fell asleep with an ear-to-ear grin on my face, dreaming deeply of rough-cutting stem after stem on the belt until I stood amongst a knee-deep pile of the things. I love when that happens.

Anybody else have any tools they've had to fight with a bit?
flix

Post by flix »

Hazmat,

To my point of view, you should ask the question differently:

What tools do you have that DON'T require extra patience! ;)
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehehe!! Yea, the belt sander can be tempremental. At least mine can.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I'm going to have to fess up and let the belt sander off the hook, as the problem really wasn't the sander, but the user. IT guys use the acronym PEBKAC(Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair). Well.. there ya have it. 'Twas me that were the problem. Good lessons to be had in pipemaking, the main seeming to be "slow it down".
sprangalang

Post by sprangalang »

I took off the back-up plate on my 1" belt sander, and it is much more agreeable to me now.
My most annoying tool is the scroll saw. No matter how careful I am, during the course of work, the workpiece will always take at least one rattle-tattle ride, that usually results in a few bad words from me.

:wink:
-Jeff
Frank

Re: Taming the Belt Sander

Post by Frank »

hazmat wrote:Anybody else have any tools they've had to fight with a bit?
Yep, that sneaky belt grinder. It's all sweet & purring like a kitten when I'm using 300 or 400 grit belts. As soon as I put on a 24 grit belt it comes out snarling & snapping like a Tasmanian Devil trying to take my fingers off. Managed to get a nasty nip in onetime, down to the bone. Mean machine!
I swear it has a devil :twisted: in it.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

OUCH!! Ouch and grouch happens! That's nasty... I'd rather slice than sand myself any day of the week.