Personal Milestone

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hazmat

Personal Milestone

Post by hazmat »

This is the first pipe I've ever made with a fully hand-cut stem. I'm pretty happy with the results though there is A LOT that could be tweaked in future efforts. Most immediately visible - I have absolutely NO photography skills!! On the pipe itself, there are two flaws that I don't believe are visible in the photos. The tobacco chamber is drilled a touch off-center and that broke my heart. It's not much, but it's enough that a) I know it's there and b) any pipe person would pick it out immediately. That being the case, I don't think this will be a "seller". A friend has made an offer, but I don't know that I can justify the transaction. I wouldn't buy this pipe.. how can I sell it?? The junction between stem and shank is a bit "not right". It feels right, but it doesn't look right. The stem is a bit bulgey(is that a word?) behind the shank. I may rework it at some point in the near future to thin it up some, but for now I'm leaving it as-is and moving forward. The finish is actually glossier than the photography shows. Not sure how to fix that.. maybe some of you with a bit more experience can give me some suggestions. All critiques, kindly and sweet or(more preferred) brutally honest are absolutely 100% welcome.

And a special thank you to Kurt for his stem step-by-step without which I'd have never finished this pipe and for hosting these photos for me. Thanks!

sprangalang

Post by sprangalang »

That looks real nice. I can't see the off-center drilling, and the slight bulge on the stem brings the eye to the band, which looks very nice.
Hand making stems, imho is the most time consuming task. Just when I think I'm done, I see something else that it needs done. But once the blems are out and you polish it up, what a feeling, eh?
-Jeff
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, it WAS nice to actually finish one all the way through. With that first under my belt, future attempts should go a wee bit smoother.

The off-center drilling is the draft hole in the bottom of the baccy chamber. I didn't shoot any pictures of the chamber because I haven't sanded it out and applied the pre-carb. Also.. it's off-center :)
jeeper

Post by jeeper »

Terrific considering no lathe very tuff shape without one.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

jeeper wrote:Terrific considering no lathe very tuff shape without one.
Thanks... much appreciated. By why a tough shape without a lathe?
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Hazmat, don't you dare touch that stem! It's the coolest thing I've ever seen, and it's that "bulge" that makes it so. Two thumbs up!

ImageImage
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Wow.. thanks, Robert.

For information's sake, the material I used for the band is a pen blank from Woodcraft. I believe it was "mother of pearl black" or some such.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

hazmat wrote:Wow.. thanks, Robert.

For information's sake, the material I used for the band is a pen blank from Woodcraft. I believe it was "mother of pearl black" or some such.
Well it's very nice. I am definitely gonna have to try one like that with the MOP band.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Dude that is very nice. I love the stem and love the shape of the pipe.

Great job, awesome stem and what is even more awesome is the fact that it is your first hand cut. Sweet!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

There's a great selection from Masecraft for that type of material. You can find a link here, http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe ... d_Supplies at the bottom of the page.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice pipe bud! Like you say, there are a few things that could be tweaked, but who has ever made a pipe that they couldn't find one or two issues with? certainly not me! Not by a long shot. And for doing it sans lathe, thats a damn fine shape. From the pics, it looks very symetrical. The stem looks sharp! It could be tapered a bit more evenly down the length, but still. Great first stem. What did you use to cut the slot? Nicely done bud.

Here's my best advice: Fill it with your fave tobacco. Light it. Puff gently while imbibing your fave beverage. Repeat as necessary.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Nick wrote:Nice pipe bud! Like you say, there are a few things that could be tweaked, but who has ever made a pipe that they couldn't find one or two issues with? certainly not me! Not by a long shot. And for doing it sans lathe, thats a damn fine shape. From the pics, it looks very symetrical. The stem looks sharp! It could be tapered a bit more evenly down the length, but still. Great first stem. What did you use to cut the slot? Nicely done bud.

Here's my best advice: Fill it with your fave tobacco. Light it. Puff gently while imbibing your fave beverage. Repeat as necessary.
Thanks, Nick. I cut the slot with a dremel bit.. that saw blade-looking bit.. and then cleaned up with the broaches, files, etc. Why is this a tough shape to make without a lathe? I'm not trying to toot my own horn or anything, but keeping stummels symmetrical hasn't ever been too much of a big problem for me. It just kinda happens. The stem is definitely off a bit... my sense of symmetry failed me a bit there when I was rough shaping it. I tried to fix it up, but there was only so much I could do without having to start over, so I just ran with it.

I think I may take your advice on what to do with it!! :)
Nick

Post by Nick »

Getting somthing like a congac or billiard symetrical without a lathe is damn tough! It sounds like you might not even need a lathe bud. My hat is off to you.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Nick wrote:Getting somthing like a congac or billiard symetrical without a lathe is damn tough! It sounds like you might not even need a lathe bud. My hat is off to you.
Hard call.. even if I don't.. I still WANT ONE!!! :D Besides, how else will I ever be able to join in on all the shape-first goodness spreading around the forum??

Which reminds me.. did you see the question I left for you in another thread regarding the old lathe I picked up the other week?
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

pierredekat wrote:Hazmat, don't you dare touch that stem! It's the coolest thing I've ever seen, and it's that "bulge" that makes it so. Two thumbs up!
Gotta totally agree with that. Looks super. The band of MOP really sets it apart. Nice!
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, that's beautiful! Amazing for your first hand cut stem. My first few were disasters! I especially like the finish, how thin you got it behind the bit, and the bit itself all look real nice and comfy...

My only suggestion would be that some will think that the taper should have started right at where it joins the shank, instead of after the insert. I agree in most cases, but this one works better than most where they don't start the taper there. In fact, it kind of reminds me of a couple of old GBD billiards I have....

Oh, and that's a beautiful pipe you've attached it to also! Great work!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

sethile wrote:Wow, that's beautiful! Amazing for your first hand cut stem. My first few were disasters!
Oh.. I never meant to suggest that there weren't disasters, quite the contrary :D I went through nearly a full rod of ebonite to get this one "right" :shock: I was so frustrated at one point, I just gave up for a little bit. Then I PM'd Kurt with my frustrations and he was kind enough to do the "stem making 101" photo shoot for us and that got me headed mostly in the right direction. Right now, I have a small box full of failed attempts at that single stem. Thankfully I can use most of the pieces for other things!
sethile wrote:My only suggestion would be that some will think that the taper should have started right at where it joins the shank, instead of after the insert.
Yeah, this is the bulge I mention in my critique above. Apparently it works so I'm not going to do anything else to it. I'll just work on refining that in later efforts.
sethile wrote:I agree in most cases, but this one works better than most where they don't start the taper there. In fact, it kind of reminds me of a couple of old GBD billiards I have....

Oh, and that's a beautiful pipe you've attached it to also! Great work!
Thanks alot!! It's appreciated. Even with the flaws I'm aware of, I'm kind of proud of this one. I'm hoping to get some better pictures soon from some other angles.