Shape / style idea (from photo)

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

Shape / style idea (from photo)

Post by LatakiaLover »

Only a Cutty, but the line and flow is excellent, and the slightly stretched overall length plus the unusual stem/shank treatment makes it memorable, imo.

Dead classic, yet fresh.

Just tossing it out there for you maker-dudes to Grok.

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Cuttys are a great shape, one of my favorites. I don't make too many, since they don't seem to sell very quickly, but they are sure fun to make, and they're very comfortable.

The shank treatment on that is very interesting.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I have some (very) small blocks that I'm turning into a few cutties over the next couple of weeks. I've not yet made a cutty style, so we'll see how it goes. I love the shape so I'm hoping at least one turns out well. We'll see.
Danskpibemager

Best Selling Shapes

Post by Danskpibemager »

Kurt,
You mentioned that the "Cutty" was a fun shape to make but does not sell very well. What would you say are the best selling shapes on the market today? I've been making pipes for awhile and would like to hone my skills on pipes that are somewhat marketable or appeal to most pipe smokers. Thanks for any insight to my question.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Strait billiard, bent billiard.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Best Selling Shapes

Post by KurtHuhn »

KevinS wrote:You mentioned that the "Cutty" was a fun shape to make but does not sell very well. What would you say are the best selling shapes on the market today? I've been making pipes for awhile and would like to hone my skills on pipes that are somewhat marketable or appeal to most pipe smokers. Thanks for any insight to my question.
Good question! It's tough to nail it down to a specific shape, and it does sort of vary by time of year. I've found that the cooler months bring lots of interest in longer pipes, and the converse seems true for warmer months.

The one thing that I have noticed, however, is that people are looking for unique shapes, and unique interpretations on classic shapes. If people want a billiard or a bulldog, they can easily get that anywhere. There's no real reason for your average pipesters looking for a handmade pipes to buy a billiard from an artisan for considerably more money than a mass-produced pipe unless there's something very special about that pipe - and the craftsmanship might not be enough.

It seems to me, as I look over the work that sits around on my site, it's the "catalog" shapes that hang out for a while. The stuff that I look at and say to myself "That's way overboard. Nobody's going to buy that, it's too different.", is the type of thing that people snap up in a hurry.

Of course, artisan and factory pipes are two totally different things, in completely different worlds. You have to keep that in mind. If you're looking to gain experience and hone your skills, there's no substitute for making a lot of pipes in all shapes and getting feedback on your artisitic vision and skill as a craftsman.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Danskpibemager

Styles

Post by Danskpibemager »

Thanks for the input Kurt!
In other words: Unique is what they seek! I guess I'm on the right track as I have been studying the classic shapes and putting my twist of craftsmanship on them. At some point in the future I hope to sell a few of my pipes beyond the local market but that's a ways away. I guess this should have been a question posed to all the forum members as I have gained so much valuable information as well as having a few great laughs in reading through every topic posted.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

LatakiaLover, I have always loved cutties. I think the thing that appeals to me most about them is their resemblance to the clay tavern pipes you see in old paintings.

It's just classic, really.

Oddly enough, I thought I was going to make cutties left and right when I first started making pipes, and yet I have not made a single one. I guess somewhere along the way, I gained more of a taste for "exotic" rather than "classic".

Which brings me to Kurt's post about what are his best sellers, and I think he hit the nail on the head, totally, with his post.

The classics are classic, but when you think about it: if you already have a half dozen bulldogs, there's not much motivation to buy another. I might buy a bulldog from a particular maker if I really want one from that particular maker.

But if he has something exotic, I would totally buy that one first. I think there's something fascinating about turning this odd-shaped compilation of briar, wood, plastic, rubber, etc., around in your hands, looking at the geometry, putting tobacco in it and smoking it.

When I get bored with this cool, exotic pipe, I can pick up another cool, exotic pipe and smoke that for awhile, marveling at the shape, the finish, the maker's stamp, etc.

Vanilla is nice once in awhile, but I'll almost always opt for mocha almond fudge if I can get it.