That Logan on eBay

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

That Logan on eBay

Post by KurtHuhn »

This one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0157717731

I got a reply from the seller:
The bearings are not seized, no chuck. other than that most of the parts are there. I can take more pictures if you need them.
It's possible the pics look worse than the actual condition. Maybe I'll take a ride out there Saturday morning for an inspection if the additional pics don't reveal anything new.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Sure, and if there aren't any bids by that point, you could always just offer him $100 cash, he might take it.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Just looked at that photo again. Weird, I might have been looking at or thinking about a different machine. That's not the countershaft pulley on the ways, it's the spindle pulley, and the spindle is out. My fear would be that he disassembled the spindle to raid it for parts. For instance, there are little metal dust shields or "slingers" that keep crap out of the bearings. Those things are pure unobtanium. If all the parts are there, having the spindle apart makes it easier to put new bearings in. But, I'm guessing he needed those slingers.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Oooh, good point, Jack. An inspection will tell me if those are there. I'm still planning on looking at it before bidding, unless something better comes along before Saturday.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Just for comparison, here's one from which I'd stay away:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-x-24-Logan-Toolr ... dZViewItem

Originally listed as a Monarch, which is just a bit different. $475 is a lot for a Logan with no tooling and in unknown condition. And anybody who is careful enough to have two screens of fine print ought to be careful enough to take halfway decent pictures. I didn't notice the feedback score, but when a seller appears more interested in covering his behind than in conveying accurate, helpful information about the item, I don't look back.