Source for top quality files

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

Source for top quality files

Post by LatakiaLover »

Not imports, the real made-in-Switzerland kind.

Otto Frei is the only place I've found with a decent selection. Cas-Ker is mostly cheap stuff...

Where do you serious button shapers get yours?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

McMaster-Carr doesn't list brand names, but the "Swiss Pattern" files I've bought from them have been Grobets. Might call and ask.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I just scored a Grobets #0 checkering file on Ebay for less than $20.

Other than that, I usually go for Nichols brand, available at the big box stores, and the local mom-n-pops. I have a Nichols safe edge smooth cut mill file that is the workhorse of my file arsenal. I suppose I could remove material faster with a bastard or 2nd cut, but I like the control of a smooth cut file.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Kurt --

A checkering file? You must mess with more than just pipes and knives, then. That's a specialty tool and a half... Unless you've found a way to rusticate with one. Hmmm??? 8)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

LatakiaLover wrote:Kurt --

That's a specialty tool and a half... Unless you've found a way to rusticate with one. Hmmm??? 8)
Someone actually did that not too long ago and posted pics. I can't remember who it was.

It looked just like a gun stock, except it was a pipe.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

LatakiaLover wrote:A checkering file? You must mess with more than just pipes and knives, then. That's a specialty tool and a half... Unless you've found a way to rusticate with one. Hmmm??? 8)
I've got so many irons in the fire, it isn't even funny....

I haven't considered rusticating with a checkering file, but like Rad said, someone did. No, this is going to get used for checkering a set of custom grips. A friend has a Springfield 1911 that he'd like a set of cocobolo grips for, so I'm giving him a handmade and hand-fitted set for Christmas.

I'm also going to be using the file for putting grooves in the thumb rest of a couple knives. It's a heck of a lot more accurate than trying to do it all with a triangle file.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com