Jaume Hom briar

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Jaume Hom briar

Post by KurtHuhn »

Has anyone bought briar from Jaume Hom recently? I'm wondering what the quality and consistency s like these days.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

It's been a few years for me. Quality and consistency are precisely why I stopped. I found it irritating and transparent to be obliged to buy five useless blocks to get one decent one, and more economical in the end to buy six good blocks from Mimmo. I think I bought a couple of "packages" from Hom, still have most of it sitting on a shelf along with another useless batch from a couple of years ago. Might come in handy if I start making briar doorknobs.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Just to answer the wrong question (and with another question, no less) have you considered buying from Jean Pierre Soler? If you do, and need any help during the communication process (he doesn't speak a word of english,) let me know. I have nothing but compliments on the man (and he sells great briar, too!)
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

It's a new name to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be delighted to try a new source. Ideally, I'd be able to buy 10 or 12 blocks to see what he's selling. Perhaps you could ask him put together a price for a sample package and we'll see who is interested.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

JHowell wrote:It's been a few years for me. Quality and consistency are precisely why I stopped. I found it irritating and transparent to be obliged to buy five useless blocks to get one decent one, and more economical in the end to buy six good blocks from Mimmo. I think I bought a couple of "packages" from Hom, still have most of it sitting on a shelf along with another useless batch from a couple of years ago. Might come in handy if I start making briar doorknobs.
Precisely why I stopped as well. I have 200+ blocks that I'm hesitant to use. More often than not, they end up getting used as knife handles, tampers, pens and other stuff.

I did like the fact that I could communicate readily with Jaume (I'm passable at written Spanish, and conversationally I can sometimes keep up if folks speak slowly and clearly). That doesn't make up for the briar, however.

The reason I ask is because I'm running low on my current rotation, and I want to continue to keep about 3 years worth in stock. That way, I *know* the briar is dry and ready. With the departure of Briar Grains (Yazid), I need to switch gears and get comfy with a new supplier for my countryman lines. Maybe I should just buy from Michael Parks and Mark Tinsky?
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

JHowell wrote:It's a new name to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be delighted to try a new source. Ideally, I'd be able to buy 10 or 12 blocks to see what he's selling. Perhaps you could ask him put together a price for a sample package and we'll see who is interested.
I'd definately be down for trying a new source!! If this happens, please let me know.
flix

Post by flix »

Kurt,
I buy from Michael. He's very easy to work with. It takes a little while to get the goods out of Canada though.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Leus wrote:Just to answer the wrong question (and with another question, no less) have you considered buying from Jean Pierre Soler? If you do, and need any help during the communication process (he doesn't speak a word of english,) let me know. I have nothing but compliments on the man (and he sells great briar, too!)
This is Soler's website: http://www.geocities.com/solerpipas/

Check Pipedia for other briar suppliers: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe ... d_Supplies
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

How is Mimmo doing get briar to the US these days. I bought some from him in Chicago.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Frank wrote:
Leus wrote:Just to answer the wrong question (and with another question, no less) have you considered buying from Jean Pierre Soler? If you do, and need any help during the communication process (he doesn't speak a word of english,) let me know. I have nothing but compliments on the man (and he sells great briar, too!)
This is Soler's website: http://www.geocities.com/solerpipas/

Check Pipedia for other briar suppliers: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe ... d_Supplies
Looks like the site is down. To answer the Mimmo question, we will see. He says no problem.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I noticed Mimmo has a new section on his web page for quantities of 10, 20, or 30 blocks including shipping and paying through PayPal. This might be a good way for hobbyist pipe makers to get hold of some of Mimmos quality briar.
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

UPDATE:

Jaume sent an email complaining about this thread. Apparently he's not happy with it. So, in that light, I'm going to amend the thread with this:
"I did not purchase 200 blocks from Jaume. After some research, and digging through emails many years old, it turns out I only purchased 100 blocks."
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:Jaume sent an email complaining about this thread. Apparently he's not happy with it.
Since this is the only site in the entire world dedicated soley to pipemaking, one should expect that pipemakers will give their honest opinion of material suppliers.

Rather than complaining about a minor point, he would have done his business a greater service by apologizing and promising, or at least attempt, to deliver better quality briar.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I told him in email that, while I will amend my post concerning the number of blocks I ordered, I will not, under any circumstances, retract my other statements. And it's nothing he hasn't heard from me and at least one other pipe maker already - some time ago, in fact.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

We might not be a pipe makers union, but a guild for sure, and I would think that keeping us happy as customers would do anyone's business well if they don't want to be, let's say, blackballed, among the lot of us. Haume seems more interested in arguing than in developing customers.
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

This meeting of Pipesters Local 1 is now called to order!

:twisted:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:This meeting of Pipesters Local 1 is now called to order!
YEAH! We demand higher wages!! Uh... no wait... we work for ourselves. OK, we demand something else... I don't care what it is, but we demand it. It's our Union right to demand! :twisted:

To quote Strawbs: With a helluva shout it's "Out, Brothers, Out!"
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

We demand prices of Ebonite rod plummet to the approximate price per foot of ABS :lol:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

And I demand ebonite sheet! In 1/16" and 1/8" thickness!
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

We demand a cream for those ugly boils that you get on your backside from working with briar!