Lathe

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
dougk52

Lathe

Post by dougk52 »

I am starting to look for a metal lathe for home. What size lathe do most of you have? I think I would like to find an older bigger lathe but that depends on price.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Something with a 9-inch swing is going to be the most useful. My wood lathe is a 10-inch model, the Jet JML1014. A Lot of pipe makers go for the Jet BD920N - 9-inch swing and 20 inches between centers. Also, you'll find a lot of Atlas, Craftsman, and South Bend 9-inchers in pipe making shops.

Anything less than 9 inches, and I think you're going to find it's too small for comfortable pipe work. Especially if you want to make a long-shanked pipe like a canadian or liverpool.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

...A Lot of pipe makers go for the Jet BD920N...
I think if I was going to put out that much money for a -NEW- lathe, I would be inclined to buy a Lathemaster 9x30 for a couple hundred dollars less and probably a better lathe to boot. http://www.lathemaster.com/

If I was looking for a used, I would be looking for a 9" (minimum) South Bend, Atlas, Logan (maybe a few others) with 20" (minimum) between centers. Like Kurt said, if you wanted to drill a long block (Canadian, etc), you need the swing, PLUS length... your chuck and block will take up a lot of length, then your l-o-n-g drill & drill chuck will take up most of what is left of your bed.

I have a wood lathe with 14 1/2" between centers and there were a couple times the tailstock was barely on the bed, and those pipes weren't even all that long!
dougk52

Post by dougk52 »

I'm leaning toward this http://grizzly.com/products/12-x-36-Met ... Head/G0492

That way it won't take up so much room in my work shop. I have an old wood lathe that is 6 feet long and it is huge. I don't want to take up to much space but would like to have something versatile to do outer projects on. What do you think?
Or course the ideal would be separate machines but the room is a factor.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Ick! I wouldn't go with a Grizzly. I've heard their lathes aren't all that tight, or strait or much good at all. I think Rad had one at one time, but ditched it because it was so bad.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Nick wrote:Ick! I wouldn't go with a Grizzly. I've heard their lathes aren't all that tight, or strait or much good at all. I think Rad had one at one time, but ditched it because it was so bad.
It all depends on which one. If you're spending less than a grand, or around a grand, it will be the same sort of machine as an Enco or Jet or whatever -- most are made in the same factory. If you spend $4K on a 12 inch Grizzly you'll have a pretty nice machine. Grizzly tools aren't any better or worse than half a dozen other brands, the issue is price, and there simply isn't a machine for under a grand that is built to deliver accuracy and reliability for years and years. In fact, there never has been. A Plain Jane South Bend nine inch workshop around 1940 would have cost in the neighborhood of $200 with a few accessories. That's around three grand today, adjusting using the Consumer Price Index. Which will buy a pretty nice lathe -- but nobody ever asks "I have $3000 to spend, which lathe should I buy?"

There are those who will say that $1K spent on an import lathe will at least get the purchaser making chips right away, while an old American machine may need lots of TLC to get going. Everyone has to make his own choice, but I'm done buying import stuff. Unless it's Canadian -- I wouldn't mind having a 14 inch Standard Modern.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

When I setup my shop I wish I would have opted for the Jet 9x20. I went for the smaller metal lathe and use a wood lathe for stummels. If I ever win the lottery I plan to retool.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
dougk52

Post by dougk52 »

Well as luck would have my company is getting rid is some lathes an I scored a LaBlonde I think is spelled this way but I've never payed any attention. Anyway I scored one for 250. Its a little big 12 x 40 but I'll deal with that to have a really nice well maintained lathe. Plus all the tooling. They were gone over yearly.
They are also getting rid of a Bridgeport that I also scored for 250. It has all digital read outs like the lathe. Don't know how to get them to the basement work shop but I'll figures a way. If I could get a 1960 Harley in and out I can get my machinery in too.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

dougk52 wrote:Well as luck would have my company is getting rid is some lathes an I scored a LaBlonde I think is spelled this way but I've never payed any attention. Anyway I scored one for 250. Its a little big 12 x 40 but I'll deal with that to have a really nice well maintained lathe. Plus all the tooling. They were gone over yearly.
They are also getting rid of a Bridgeport that I also scored for 250. It has all digital read outs like the lathe. Don't know how to get them to the basement work shop but I'll figures a way. If I could get a 1960 Harley in and out I can get my machinery in too.
Sigh. That's unbelievably good luck. Incredibly good luck. A real industrial machine. Please don't trash the ways with abrasives. Any time you use sanpaper, cover the ways with plastic. Dust collection helps, too, to keep the particles from floating any distance.
dougk52

Post by dougk52 »

Sigh. That's unbelievably good luck. Incredibly good luck. A real industrial machine. Please don't trash the ways with abrasives. Any time you use sanpaper, cover the ways with plastic. Dust collection helps, too, to keep the particles from floating any distance.

Not to worry, I've worked with machinery for almost 40 years. In fact my dad got me a little metal lathe/mill when I was 12 for christmas. Remember the Unimat?