Well Aged Briar - opinions sought

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Brandywine

Well Aged Briar - opinions sought

Post by Brandywine »

Hello all,

As I look at purchasing some old briar 50+yrs, I am looking for a general concensus opinion on aged briar.

Is old briar (50yrs+ since being cut) better or worse or no different than younger briar ?

If you are experienced with old briar, please state your experineces with it in your reply.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I have no experience with smoking qualities, but I have blasted some very old Algerian that came from Mark Tinsky. It's as hard as a rock.

It's also a red/brown color all the way through and doesn't take stain real well (on smooths), according to Mark.

Rad
Skip

Well Aged Briar

Post by Skip »

I bought a batch of briar that was harvested in the 5o`s. It was very good as far as grain was concerned.
Like Rad said it does tend to have some funky color issues. I had no trouble with stains.
Not one of my customers noticed any thing different about how they smoked.

Skip
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I guess I shouldn't have said they don't take stain well.

Mark said with the uniform darker color, that stain didn't bring out the grain very well.

Rad
Brandywine

Post by Brandywine »

Anyone notice any difference in checks, or voids ?
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

It all depends on the price. If it's $4 a block, I'd buy first and ask questions later. If it's Super-Rare 50-Year-Old Algerian Briar, No Longer Available, The Same Wood Dunhill Used in the Golden Age for $20 a block, I'd skip it. I'd probably even skip it for $15 a block, you can get ebauchons from Mimmo for that. I've used this sort of old wood and it can make a nice pipe, but nothing magical. Mimmo's blocks taste at least as good.