Meerschaum cases

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
DaninDayton

Meerschaum cases

Post by DaninDayton »

I have a couple of old meers that do not have the cases. Can anyone tell me where to get them or how they are made. I'm told that the cases are paper mache and covered with paper?

Thanks,

DaninDayton
ilurkalot
Frank

Post by Frank »

These days the vast majority of Meerschaum pipes are made in Turkey. It is illegal to export block Meerschaum from Turkey, so the cases are usually made in Turkey to fit the various pipe shapes/styles. The earlier pipes had leather cases, but you're probably correct in that these days the cases are paper mache or pressed cardboard lined with (probably) faux satin or velvet.

On occasion I've seen old Meerschaum cases sold with assorted pipe stuff on eBay, but it means constantly watching eBay in hopes that a suitable size/shape of case pops up.

You could certainly make your own cases from paper mache. Not at all difficult, just time consuming. You can obtain tiny hinges and clasps from model building suppliers like MicroMark, but search around on the internet, MicroMark are seldom the cheapest place for stuff. I get most of my ship model stuff from http://www.modelexpo-online.com/
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
DaninDayton

Post by DaninDayton »

Thanks, Frank,

This is the information that I was looking for.

DaninDayton
ilurkalot
DaninDayton
ilurkalot