Natural Talent

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
RadDavis

Natural Talent

Post by RadDavis »

Some one mentioned natural talent in another thread.

Here's a good example:

http://tinyurl.com/8uutpm

It's really too bad that he had to quit, having found that pipe making was just too labor intensive for him.

Also, I'm sure those used Grabow stems don't come cheap.

Still, for $89.00, it might be worth a try.

He also sells sticks.

Rad
Zeeborn

Post by Zeeborn »

Well I'm going to go with "if you dont have anything nice to say than don't say anything at all."
so ........
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Three letters: OMG
ToddJohnson

Re: Natural Talent

Post by ToddJohnson »

RadDavis wrote:Some one mentioned natural talent in another thread.

Here's a good example:

http://tinyurl.com/8uutpm

It's really too bad that he had to quit, having found that pipe making was just too labor intensive for him.

Also, I'm sure those used Grabow stems don't come cheap.

Still, for $89.00, it might be worth a try.

He also sells sticks.

Rad
Rad, you're an asshole. However, since you teed it up, I'll take a swing by asking what he's done to that piece of wood that could possibly be construed as "labor intensive." And the tools he lists . . . any thoughts on what they might have been used for?

He does, however, have some other products that you wouldn't want to miss out on. These include a Betty Boop cain, 8 ball gearshift knobs, and this lovely John Deere cigar-box-purse which I'll obviously be purchasing for my wife.

http://tinyurl.com/7gtuo6

Todd
Frank

Post by Frank »

Rad, while you're at it, you might as well get one of his sticks. Then you can use the stick to tee off the pipe in your backyard.

I guess pipemaking's loss is Betty Boop's gain. :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

:lol:

That purse is engineered to last? Yes, he superglued the thumb tacks!

...hilarious find... that's the best laugh I've had all year.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ToddJohnson wrote: Rad, you're an asshole. However, since you teed it up, I'll take a swing by asking what he's done to that piece of wood that could possibly be construed as "labor intensive." And the tools he lists . . . any thoughts on what they might have been used for?

He does, however, have some other products that you wouldn't want to miss out on. These include a Betty Boop cain, 8 ball gearshift knobs, and this lovely John Deere cigar-box-purse which I'll obviously be purchasing for my wife.

Todd
Well, he obviously used his drill. I think he did his shaping with the bandsaw. Hard to tell if he used the belt sander, but the corners *are* mostly rounded off a little bit. Hard to tell from the pic where the router might have been used.

I think most of the intense labor involved must have been getting near Manassas, VA and picking up the wood.

Congratulations on the John Deere purse! I'm sure your wife will get days of use from it.

You should think about getting some of those genuine natural dogwood sling shot blanks for your boys. I think crafting a slingshot together would be a good father/son project. Then they could bring home some squirrels for dinner.

Being that you're now in the big city, you might also consider this stick for self defense:

http://tinyurl.com/7wlv2j

Read the fine print though. It's not gauranteed that you'll get the one with a genuine Guinness bottle cap on it. It could be just a Budweiser cap. I don't know if this is important to you or not.

Rad
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Wow... THAT was funny. Laughed out loud for long enough to get that weird look out of the wife :)

Based on the advanced shape I believe he used the router to drill during his shape first drill second technique.
alan

Post by alan »

I want the walking stick with the Sarnac bottle cap :lol:

Isn't a sarnac a monster from starwars?
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Guys, the worst about all this he's for real! And he's serious about all his stuff! Or he's the rudest MF on the earth... :D
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Sweet! I put in my bid. I hope I win. Thanks for the link Rad.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

Just to reveal my nerdy side.... Sarlac is the pit monster in ROTJ that they try to throw the good guys in.

Now if they had used one of this guys sticks, they wouldn't have had as much trouble getting away. :)
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

RadDavis wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote: Rad, you're an asshole. However, since you teed it up, I'll take a swing by asking what he's done to that piece of wood that could possibly be construed as "labor intensive." And the tools he lists . . . any thoughts on what they might have been used for?

Todd

Well, he obviously used his drill. I think he did his shaping with the bandsaw. Hard to tell if he used the belt sander, but the corners *are* mostly rounded off a little bit. Hard to tell from the pic where the router might have been used.

I think most of the intense labor involved must have been getting near Manassas, VA and picking up the wood.

Congratulations on the John Deere purse! I'm sure your wife will get days of use from it.

You should think about getting some of those genuine natural dogwood sling shot blanks for your boys. I think crafting a slingshot together would be a good father/son project. Then they could bring home some squirrels for dinner.

Being that you're now in the big city, you might also consider this stick for self defense:

http://tinyurl.com/7wlv2j

Read the fine print though. It's not gauranteed that you'll get the one with a genuine Guinness bottle cap on it. It could be just a Budweiser cap. I don't know if this is important to you or not.

Rad
I see your brass bludgeon/"walking stick" and raise it:

http://tinyurl.com/a6mfp2

Please note, and this is a direct quote, "your stick will look similar to the one below only with a ram's head."

And while you and your goat-stick are on your walk, why not enjoy a bowl from this lovely "Popeye block-briar smoking pipe?"

http://tinyurl.com/7awmbu

And as far as projects with the kids go, Cooper and I like to make pipe-bombs--you know, for fishing. A slingshot is a stupid idea, because he's only four and could easily put an eye out. Don't you know anything about kids, Rad? Besides, possums is much better eatin' than squirrels, and you can kill them with a truck. Don't even need a slingshot.

Todd
alan

Post by alan »

Poor guy. His views must be shooting up, and he has no idea why. I feel bad for playing now. We should leave him alone
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

alan wrote:Poor guy. His views must be shooting up, and he has no idea why. I feel bad for playing now. We should leave him alone
Don't feel too bad, I think I'm actually going to buy something from him. We live in a creekstone and cedar log home, and I want a piece of timber he's got to make a little something for my two boys. Besides, he's probably been to some of our sites and sent an e-mail to all of his buddies saying "hey guys, look what some doofus thinks people are going to pay for a pipe." :)

Todd
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

alan wrote:Poor guy. His views must be shooting up, and he has no idea why. I feel bad for playing now. We should leave him alone
I don't feel bad... the guy has got nearly 5000 ebay sales and 100% satisfaction rate. Some *lady* even has wonderful things to say about her chic cigar box purse. Maybe we're the foolish ones tinkering excessively with refining shapes when a eschubon block with the draft hole directly on bottom of the bowl and pre-mold stem is functional enough.

I feel bad for the state of humanity, craftsmen, and artists when hand-crafted means nothing more than cutting a branch while wearing suspenders and a straw hat.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ToddJohnson wrote:
I see your brass bludgeon/"walking stick" and raise it:

http://tinyurl.com/a6mfp2

Please note, and this is a direct quote, "your stick will look similar to the one below only with a ram's head."

And while you and your goat-stick are on your walk, why not enjoy a bowl from this lovely "Popeye block-briar smoking pipe?"

http://tinyurl.com/7awmbu

And as far as projects with the kids go, Cooper and I like to make pipe-bombs--you know, for fishing. A slingshot is a stupid idea, because he's only four and could easily put an eye out. Don't you know anything about kids, Rad? Besides, possums is much better eatin' than squirrels, and you can kill them with a truck. Don't even need a slingshot.

Todd
Todd, I don't know about Nashville, but here in Alabama, Fish & Game frowns on hunting possums with a truck. If you can convince them it was an accident, they will usually let you go with warning, but you don't get to keep the possum.

Rad
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

RadDavis wrote:
Todd, I don't know about Nashville, but here in Alabama, Fish & Game frowns on hunting possums with a truck. If you can convince them it was an accident, they will usually let you go with warning, but you don't get to keep the possum.

Rad
Rad,

I've got a permit for the truck, and I never run over more than the legal limit. I also never aim for breeding females and I only run over them in daylight. It's not like I'm going around at night spotlighting them with halogens from the truck-bed and then running them down. That puts me well within Tennessee's possum hunting statutes. I also never kill more than me and my kinfolk can eat. It's not like I'm just going after trophy-possums. What kind of person do you take me for anyway?

Todd
Frank

Post by Frank »

ToddJohnson wrote:It's not like I'm just going after trophy-possums. What kind of person do you take me for anyway?
Ah-ah!! Then what are all those possum heads you've got mounted on the walls in your living room and dining room??
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

So far I haven't heard anyone mention his other pipes. Go to his ebay store and look at his bamboo stemed pipes, he has several where he has taken a used pipe and replaced the stem with a bamboo one. There is even a dunhill pipe there with bamboo. There is one where he says, "The bamboo extends all the way into the bowl." Wonder how long that will smoke before the bamboo burns out?

bob gilbert