On "seeing" aesthetics

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

On "seeing" aesthetics

Post by KurtHuhn »

ToddJohnson wrote: I'm not suggesting that someone who cannot "see" will never be able to create, just that someone will never be able to create until they can see. This little board is a drastically flawed medium for teaching anything, especially teaching how to pick up the detail and subtlety that separates an average pipe from an excellent pipe. If you or anyone else are expecting me or any of the other professional carvers here to do that, it's just not feasible.
And on this I agree. However, it appears that the disagreement is on how one learns to see. Some, myself included, learn by example and explanation. Others may learn by solitary examination. Still others learn by reading about theory and esoteric subjects. That doesn't mean that, if someone can't see it now, they won't ever.

Now, I will allow for the possibility that the first seven or eight times I read that thread, I may have misread the messages. I'm not sure. But reading the messages today, I certainly understand, and agree with, most of your assertions regarding being able to "see" and being able to create.

I hold that, even if one can't see today, he can learn to. And because of that, can create great pipes. Maybe not everyone will be able to create unique, individualistic, and superlative works of fine art. But the reason will most likely be for lack of trying than simply because they cannot. The only difference is likely to be in the way that they were able to arrive those various serendipitous moments where they learned how certain things work and interacted.

Also, I'm not advocating the use of engineering principles as a replacement for design criteria. That would be incredibly foolish of me to do. Rather, what I'm suggesting, is that for some people, design criteria are best learned by applying the fundamentals of what they know (angles, measurements, tangental intersections, etc) into what a pleasing shape is. Then, if they are willing and studiously apply their observation skills and get the right help, they can take the leap to incorporating those elements into their own work. Sooner or later they'll be able to work in this fashion automatically, and put down the calipers and rulers, and just make a pipe. For some this will happen more slowly, and those people need to be especially careful not to use "the rules" as stringent guidelines and rely on them like a crutch.
I'm trying to offer as much as I can here, but as you know, what one often gets is an assertion that A) design is subjective, B) this or that was intentional (and therefore justifiable), and C) amateur pipemaker X thinks such and such looks just fine. Someone that does that gets written off, as well they should. Navel gazing is not a noble endeavor, and it's a wast of time to engage with folks that are doing it. Ask the other professionals here, and I think they'll pretty much tell you the same thing. For those that really want to, there's much to be learned here. I'm happy to contribute, but I don't want to argue over "teaching methods." Nobody's paying for advice, so I view it as something of a "take it or leave it" thing. Most people choose to leave it, but that's okay.
I think we'd both be surprised to find that we agree with each other more often than we disagree - in principle as well as execution. I know we've both commented within earshot of each other about cringing when certain of our older creations come up for resale somewhere, and contemplating buying it back just to get it off the market and out of public view. I actually have a box of older pipes hidden away in a closet that have met that exact fate. Trust me, they will never the light of day again, and get smoked only on the darkest of midwinter nights when I'm certain that nobody will catch me doing it.

As far as teaching methods, you're right. Nobody is paying for advice here.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tano

Post by Tano »

Anyone that has taken Visual Arts will know that you can teach technique, theory and principles. You can never teach those qualities and talents that make a work go beyond the sum of its parts. Furthermore if you think you can do it by using vocabulary you have another thing comming to you, frustration. Visual is exactly that, visual. You learn by seeing. IMO.
All the best,
Tano
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Tano wrote:Anyone that has taken Visual Arts will know that you can teach technique, theory and principles. You can never teach those qualities and talents that make a work go beyond the sum of its parts. Furthermore if you think you can do it by using vocabulary you have another thing comming to you, frustration. Visual is exactly that, visual. You learn by seeing. IMO.
Very true.

You have to have an eye for shape to make a nice looking pipe. You have to be able to see what's not right in order to be able to make it right. No amount of knowledge of angles, measurements, tangental intersections and such can replace knowing what the shape should look like and know it when you see it and also when you don't. There's really nothing to measure empirically. You just have to look and see.

If you don't have an eye for it, you will make clunky or "off looking" pipes until your eye develops. For some, this will take a while, and for others it happens fairly quickly. The more pipes you make, the quicker it happens.

People like Todd and Jeff have a natural talent and eye for shaping and making pipes that are visually appealing. Others of us just bull our way into making nice pipes by making a whole lot of them.

I know when I'm starting a pipe, there are times that I'll re-draw the shank, the cant of the bowl, or the overall curvature several times on the block, because I'm not liking what I see. I can't always get it the first time or the third, but when it's finally right, I know it.

Kurt, My suggestion to you would be to concentrate on simple shapes. Simple shapes done right are much nicer looking than "cathedral shapes" done all wonky. Save the complicated shit for later.

If you draw a shape that you really like, but it doesn't come out like you envisioned, then that's a whole nother ballgame and has less to do with "seeing" as being able to use your tools and your hands. As long as you have an attractive shape in 2 dimensions, it should be just as attractive in 3 dimensions. Then you have to tackle the process of making the shape be what you want it to be.

And that only comes with making more and more pipes.

Rad
Tano

Post by Tano »

This is not to say that a person is incapable of being creative. They are just using different sides of their brain. The verbal analytical mathematical person uses the left side of their brain, where as the creative talented person uses the right side of the brain. There is scientific study that demonstrates that the two sides conflict.
I have a wonderfull book that explains this very clearly. "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. I truly beleive that if you read chapters 3&4 it will shed light on the debate presently going on. You have to understand that these discussions have been going on for centuries.
I would like to photocopy these chapters and mail them to Kurt and Todd because they are the debating party, assuming they are interested. Email me your address.
All the best,
Tano
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote: You have to have an eye for shape to make a nice looking pipe. You have to be able to see what's not right in order to be able to make it right. No amount of knowledge of angles, measurements, tangental intersections and such can replace knowing what the shape should look like and know it when you see it and also when you don't. There's really nothing to measure empirically. You just have to look and see.
Right, but....
If you don't have an eye for it, you will make clunky or "off looking" pipes until your eye develops. For some, this will take a while, and for others it happens fairly quickly. The more pipes you make, the quicker it happens.
Precisely my point. It's just HOW you develop your eye that matters most. Note, I did say that relying on measurements and metric is a crutch. But for some, myself included, it has helped to understand the whys and wherefores. If pipe A looks really damn nice to me, and pipe B looks like poopy, and they're both billiards, maybe there's a reason outside of "it just looks nice". For some, understanding the composition as a whole can be more easily achieved at by closely examining how the pieces go together.

I'm not advocating that for everyone however - that would be folly.

I know when I'm starting a pipe, there are times that I'll re-draw the shank, the cant of the bowl, or the overall curvature several times on the block, because I'm not liking what I see. I can't always get it the first time or the third, but when it's finally right, I know it.
There are two tools that I use for designing the shape of a pipe on the side of a block: a pencil, and an eraser. I go through erasers like mad. Pencils, not so much.
Kurt, My suggestion to you would be to concentrate on simple shapes. Simple shapes done right are much nicer looking than "cathedral shapes" done all wonky. Save the complicated shit for later.
Honestly, I really don't have a problem with most shapes. I'm not sure where this is coming from. If I did, I'm sure I wouldn't be as busy as I am. Recently one particular shape vexxed me greatly - and for that I sought out help. Please don't read anything into that other than "WTF is wrong with my fish?".
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tano wrote:This is not to say that a person is incapable of being creative. They are just using different sides of their brain. The verbal analytical mathematical person uses the left side of their brain, where as the creative talented person uses the right side of the brain. There is scientific study that demonstrates that the two sides conflict.
I have a wonderfull book that explains this very clearly. "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. I truly beleive that if you read chapters 3&4 it will shed light on the debate presently going on. You have to understand that these discussions have been going on for centuries.
I would like to photocopy these chapters and mail them to Kurt and Todd because they are the debating party, assuming they are interested. Email me your address.
I actually have that book. Got it about, oh, 30 years ago?

Granted I haven't read it in maybe 10 years, but I do still have it. And it didn't help me much back then, since I still can't draw for $#!%.

I'm aware of the left/right brain phenomena - my mother is a fine artist AND an accomplished engineer. And I did attend college in pursuit of an architectural degree - talk about needing both sides of your brain....
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

How come ~1.6180339887 hasn't been mentioned in this post? Kurt? :help:

...and don't you just take a briar block and remove everything that doesn't look like a nice pipe? :ROFL:

I guess knowledge is knowing it and wisdom is doing it. :lol:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Vermont Freehand wrote:How come ~1.6180339887 hasn't been mentioned in this post? Kurt? :help:

...and don't you just take a briar block and remove everything that doesn't look like a nice pipe? :ROFL:

I guess knowledge is knowing it and wisdom is doing it. :lol:
Aw man!! I was hoping someone ELSE would advocate the Golden Ratio. :doh:

I kind of view that as a "rule" that can be bent - the part where wisdom comes in is where you can Just Do It without breaking out a ruler. I've found that you can use it to help you understand things, but there comes a time when you just have to fly a solo flight and apply what you've come to understand.

That said, if numbers weren't important, nobody wold have gone to great lengths to study and figure out that particular number. And I'm sure there are folks that disagree.

I've come to realize over the last few days that this is a highly personal subject, and various folks will take exception to assertions on any side of any of the various fences (because there's not just two fences) that we're all leaning on and talking over. Which may, or may not, what the hell do I know, point back to the learning process. Who knows. The human brain is far too complex for me or anyone else to be able to say how another person will be able to understand seemingly simple (to another person) concepts.

And so I guess the debate of Art As Art goes on....
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tano

Post by Tano »

I managed to copy three pages from chapter 3.

All the best,
Tano
FredS

Post by FredS »

You mean those bastards at the Art Instruction Institute where lying when they promised they could teach me to be an artist if I could draw this pirate?

"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
Tano

Post by Tano »

Yes the debate goes on... but remember that when your work can be identified as Yours (style), then you have crossed the threshold into creativity, and because the good or bad of the final product is subjective, the only measure of success is the market.
All the best,
Tano
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Tano wrote: and because the good or bad of the final product is subjective, the only measure of success is the market.
Hey Tano,

I've really appreciated your contributions to this thread, but I would like to disagree with the statement above. I think in the end this can be a new carver's downfall. First, yes, there is a subjective element to design, but there is also an objective element that nobody seems willing to talk about. Since the "golden ratio" has been brought up, I will use that as an example, though Scarlett Johansson may work just as well.

Many of the objects in nature that are almost unanimously regarded as beautiful employ this ratio. The word "employ" isn't exactly right since there is no intentionality with a flower, it just is, and it is beautiful. The translation is that our brains are hard wired to regard certain things as beautiful for reasons having to do with everything from biology to socialization. "Tastes" change, but there are constants--like the way that one line relates to another, or the repetition of certain curves, or the constant gradient increase/decrease in thickness or diameter along an arc.

Now unless your trained to see (and speak) that way, you don't see something and say "the diameter of that flower's filament decreases regularly and gradually along an implied arc and therefore I find it pleasing." Instead, your brain puts this together and basically just informs you that the flower is pretty. I would argue that it is little different with a pipe. You see it, and you know instantly that it is beautiful. In most cases, this is because the lines move in harmony together, the arcs are regular, the design is cohesive, everything "works." Your brain processes all that data and just sends the signal "beautiful" to your conscious mind. Yes, people can respond differently to the same stimuli, but let's think about the Scarlett Johansson example. Few people I think would not find her very easy on the eyes. So while conceptions of beauty are certainly not universal, they are very much corporate.

Your other point is that "the market" has something to say about "success" in design. The market is a factor, but not an especially significant one. The reason is that there are so many other factors playing into a decision to purchase something that it can't be boiled down to "these pipes sell because they are beautiful and well formed."

All you've got to do is look on eBay at the bidding wars that occasionally take place over some truly heinous creations. When this happens--and especially when it's a new/newer carver--the wrong message is actually sent, I think. One thing I know to be true is that the ugliest most ill formed pipes I have ever made have sold for hundreds of dollars. It's bad, I know, but the market cannot always be relied upon either to reward excellent design, or to punish poor design. Those of us who make pipes for a living, who have to have a trained eye, and who depend on that eye to help us bring excellent pipes to market have pretty consistent opinions on which carvers have really got chops and which carvers have just managed to find some particular sub-segment of a niche market to sell to. I would find it a more legitimate indicator of design success to be included amongst the former. If marketability were always an indicator of excellence in one's craft, we wouldn't have to endure so many bad movies and so much crap-music. Hell, Starbucks wouldn't exist! But I digress. Suffice it to say, "someone bought it" is NOT a suitable answer to the questions "was it beautifully made? Was it an excellent design? Was it well executed?"

Thoughts . . . ?

Todd
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Honestly, I really don't have a problem with most shapes. I'm not sure where this is coming from. If I did, I'm sure I wouldn't be as busy as I am.
Hi Kurt,

I hope you didn't take my advice as an insult to your work. That was not my intent.

You have to be willing and able to take a truly honest look at your work and see what can be done to make it better. Or send pics or pipes to someone who'll critique them without any bullshit. I've done a *lot* of this, and it's helped me immensely.

It's very eye opening to have someone who really knows pipes look at a piece that you're so damn proud of that you could just bust and tear it apart with no thought for your feelings, just for the pipe he is looking at. I did this just a couple of weeks ago with one of my first bamboo pipes. I thought it was pretty damn good. Turns out, it wasn't that good.

If you tell them that you are looking for honest feedback they'll give it to you. It can be pretty hard on the ego, but it will also tell you what you need to work on. And if you take it seriously, you will improve.

IMO, anyone who thinks they don't have problems with most shapes has problems with most shapes. I can find things I don't like or think I could have done better in every pipe I make. I have problems with most shapes.

The fact that your pipes are selling doesn't mean that they can't stand some improvement. I've sold many ugly pipes and many many so-so pipes and some *really, really* ugly pipes. As Tinsky told me, there's an ass for every seat. Someone will buy it if it's priced right.

Refining simple shapes is the best way I have found to improve my work. Refine, and refine some more. Never be fully satified with it. There's always something you've screwed up. It may not be noticeable to any one else, but it's there.

If you do stuff like this, you'll begin to "see" shapes better and know immediately what looks right and what doesn't. You'll actually teach yourself.

Rad
jeff

Post by jeff »

RadDavis wrote:Refining simple shapes is the best way I have found to improve my work. Refine, and refine some more. Never be fully satified with it. There's always something you've screwed up. It may not be noticeable to any one else, but it's there.
Wise words, Mr. Davis. I have never been *fully* satisfied with any pipe that I've made. I know that this is dangerous saying this in the public section of the forum, but it is quite to the point. Every pipe has inspired in me thoughts upon its completion of what might have been done differently. It's just they way my eye sees it. This is essential to refinement and improvement. If one ever thinks that one has arrived, one may find himself further from the destination than when he began. I'd suggest that the person who doesn't have a similar experience is either a liar or a fool.

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

jeff wrote:
RadDavis wrote:Refining simple shapes is the best way I have found to improve my work. Refine, and refine some more. Never be fully satified with it. There's always something you've screwed up. It may not be noticeable to any one else, but it's there.
Wise words, Mr. Davis. I have never been *fully* satisfied with any pipe that I've made. I know that this is dangerous saying this in the public section of the forum, but it is quite to the point. Every pipe has inspired in me thoughts upon its completion of what might have been done differently. It's just they way my eye sees it. This is essential to refinement and improvement. If one ever thinks that one has arrived, one may find himself further from the destination than when he began. I'd suggest that the person who doesn't have a similar experience is either a liar or a fool.

Jeff
At last something we can agree on! In response to this, as well as your post, Rad, you're correct. I've never looked at anything I've made, whether pipe, furniture, the frame of a house, or even the coat rack that's in the wall of the entryway to my house, and said "It is perfect! I wouldn't change anything!". As you said, Jeff, that would be incredibly foolish - and I would add pompous as well.

What I mean is, I'm usually happy with the end result, even though I typically see aspects that I'll do differently in the next one. Horrifically, sometimes I don't see these until the work has been displayed for all the world to see. At that point, the desire to make an even better one becomes stronger for some reason.

As for working on "simpler" shapes, I agree. I actually made a billiard on Sunday because I felt I needed to "reset" my brain. I'd been obsessing over blowfish shapes for a few days, and felt like I needed to get back to basics. It was actually an eye-opening exercise.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ToddJohnson wrote: Thoughts . . . ?
I'm not sure I want to step into that one. While I agree with the points, I would only add that I
- prefer Drew Barrymore circa 2002
- like Starbucks Coffee
- if a movie isn't full of gunfire of sword wielding, I'm probably not interested

:D

So, while taste is subjective, I can agree that a bad creation is... um... There are some things that horrify me, that I would never call artistic - case in point, the pictures you sent links to yesterday, Todd.

As my mother says - just because you call it art, does not make it so. Like scrapbooking - some folks are convinced that this is art, and I vehemently disagree. However, I have seen some incredibly artistic traditionally hand-bound journals with wooden or leather covers.

Good gravy, I think I've managed to confuse myself.... :yield:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

jeff wrote:....Every pipe has inspired in me thoughts upon its completion of what might have been done differently.....
ToddJohnson (from another thread) wrote:....I've had great teachers in Tom Eltang, and Lars, and Tokutomi, but I'm no less a student now than I ever was. If you think that selling a $400 pipe means you've arrived, it doesn't. Be teachable, listen more than you talk, and know the "rules" before you try to break them. I hope this is helpful and encouraging. That is the spirit in which it is intended....
You guys make stunningly beautiful pipes. It's wonderful to have a glimpse into how this happens, and to see this common thread. Thanks very much for your advice! I'll take it to the bench, if not to the bank :wink:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
FredS

Post by FredS »

The Good Book says "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another". While I would rather sharpen my sword with a stone than iron, the larger point is appropriate here - we can’t improve or "sharpen" ourselves without guidance from others. Sometimes the guidance will be harsh and even painful (think of your high school football coach and two-a-days) and sometimes it will be more encouraging (think of Rad on a peaceful mountain stream teaching someone how to cast a fly).

I can swing my sword in the air until the cows come home, but it won’t get any sharper unless it actually contacts something that abrades it.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
Charl

Post by Charl »

Some guys just have a way with words! Well said.
Benjamin Button

Post by Benjamin Button »

I must say there are some inspiring words in here from some very talented people. There are points I agree with and points that are debatable, but nonetheless, they are words of wisdom and should be viewed with value despite ones opinion of the mouth from which they are spoken. I often find that some of the most insightful and perspective changing thoughts come from the mind of my seven-year-old. He can stop me dead in my tracks with a simplistic interpretation of something that I couldn't have thought of while caught up in my constantly scheduled, fast-paced, not-enough-hours-in-the-day, caffeine-deluged, rush-rush, rat race of a day. When we take the time to really listen to those around us, no matter who they are or what advice they have to offer, it starts to clear up a little of what we ourselves have to say. We are often times so caught up in what we think we are trying to accomplish, we lose sight of what it is that we really value to accomplish. Perhaps some people need to step back and re-evaluate their true inspiration for doing what they do, be it making pipes, crafting furniture, painting, etc. At the end of your days there is more value in knowing that your motivation is pure, rather than jaded.

There is a lot to be said about what motivates you. Every now and then we need to step back and ask ourselves that question, and every now and then we need to stop and actually listen to how ourselves really respond.

On that note, I guess I'll take this moment in my first post to introduce myself. My name is Adam Fitzgerald and I looking forward to the conversations that have yet to be had and the journey ahead!
-Adam Fitzgerald-