P + T magazine for ideas

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Sasquatch

P + T magazine for ideas

Post by Sasquatch »

Wow, there's some sexy pipes in this issue of P + T, including a Brillante grade from Giancarlo Guidi (Ser Jac).

The pipe I like best in the mag is on P 16 - the upside down Savinelli Autograph. What a tank.

Question though: I notice on many freehands that the tenon does not line up with the grain or particularly well with the lines of the stummel itself. Am I missing something here or is it just a case where maybe the stummel is drilled as a "best guess" for the grain ahead of shaping, and at the end, it comes out less than perfect? This would certainly be an impetus for drilling freehands AFTER shaping.

Or is there something I'm missing on these Danish type, plateax finish freehands, and the lines of bowl and stem???

Here's my Stanwell queen, which I like the lines of

I'm gonna go hunt a funny looking one and post it
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Here's a link to the digital P + T

http://digitaledition.pt-magazine.com/s ... index.html

Sav Autograph in question is 9 "digital pages" in
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

And here, for example, is a pipe that I just think is totally screwy in terms of how the mouthpiece hits the stummel.

Hide your eyes if you are sensitive!

ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Sasquatch wrote:And here, for example, is a pipe that I just think is totally screwy in terms of how the mouthpiece hits the stummel.

Hide your eyes if you are sensitive!

That pipe's problem is that it is horrible. I'm not sure any more in depth analysis is required. There's often very little forethought that goes into factory pipes.

Todd
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

This "freehand" is so much a freehand I leave both my hands free of it :) An awful waste of briar...
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

LOL yes I picked a real beauty to illustrate the point.

But that Savinelli in P + T looks wrong to me too, in a much more subtle way. But then I've never understood Savinelli's grading or quality control, so maybe that's a waste of time too.