Hi I'm new and have questions.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Ocyd

Hi I'm new and have questions.

Post by Ocyd »

I've just recently decide to take up making pipes as a more serious hobby than it was for me before, because now I can track down more materials instead of whatever free stuff happened my way. I've tried fresh cut manzanita branches (which I was very happy with) and valley Oak, scraps from old wine barrels (it's neat because even after years it still smells like wine if you wet it a little).

I recently got some of that red pipestone and and was wondering if there was any trick to drilling it cause I'm nervous it may shatter not being as flexible as wood.

Also I was looking into getting some birdseye maple that's for turning. Is that a good material to smoke out of ? I have a small box made out of some and it seems light and hard enough and there didn't seem to be any toxicity issue when I browsed the chart.

that's it for now I guess. Thanks for help.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't know what red "pipestone" is. Never heard of it.

Maple is a reasonable choice, given that it is pretty hard, relatively tasteless (compared to say, walnut, butternut, pines, oak, etc). I doubt it has the burn resistance that briar does, but if you are careful, you should be able to get a decent result with maple.

My big concern with maple is that it is fairly absorbent - the maple filters in a Brigham pipe, for example, really collect a lot of crap. So eventually I suspect a maple pipe is going to get kind of yucky as it absorbs tars etc.

Why not just order some briar online from PIMO or Pipe Maker's Emporium? If you can afford Birdseye maple, you can afford ebauchon briar.
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

The thing about the maple is there is a store around here where I can go look at it and maybe pick one I like better if there are options.

How bad is it to work wood that isn't fully dried like a turning block. Because the branch of manzanita I used didn't really get anytime to dry after I cut it and seemed fine.

The red stone I forget the proper name used for the bowls on peace pipes (catalinite)sp?

I'm not sure I'm ready for briar all I really have are the dremel, hand drill and some basic files rasps and knives.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

There are a number of difficulties in working with wood that isn't really well (and slowly) dried. Wood changes dimensions quite significantly with moisture content, so if you make a joint (like a tenon into the shank of a pipe) and then the thing dries out another 10%, it may crack, or get loose.

Maybe see if your wood supplier can get olive. It is much easier than maple to work on, and makes great pipes.

For now, it sounds like you are in "practice" mode, so maple is probably a reasonable choice.
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

Thanks for the help. I wouldn't have figured it'd be that drastic.

You're giving me too much credit putting me in practice mode, I'm still shooting for functional :lol: but I'd like to have some first hand experience with the different woods qualities when I get there. It'll be a while before I get to things like tenons and proper construction. I'll see if they have some olive too next time I go.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Yup, it's that drastic. :wink: Olive is your best bet if you're too cheap to buy a few ebauchons of briar. I say it that way because the olive is really more expensive than the briar, even factoring in shipping (unless you go for overnight or something). :lol:

As for the pipestone, it is indeed Catlinite. It can be worked with normal steel hand tools, or flint if you know how to knap drills out of it. Fairly soft, drills with the crumblies, but files well and can be polished with fine sandpaper and/or a scrap of wet leather dipped in sand. I was thinking it was sort of a protected material now, but I could be wrong. I know the original quarries in Minnesota are protected, but it may have another source.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Here's a thread on Manzanita: viewtopic.php?t=2784&highlight=manzanita
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I have personally found that maple is too soft to my taste when making pipes.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
ckr

Post by ckr »

Alan, I think you are right about it being protected. Not sure about the scoop with Wandering Bull but they do sell it.

http://store.wanderingbull.com/cabl.html

Another project I have never gotten around to.