Not sure how I feel about this...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Not sure how I feel about this...

Post by SimeonTurner »

http://www.in-thefuture.com/2009/10/tobacco-pipe/

Hmmm...first we had the psuedo-jeweler pipe from Stanwell, and now this. Perhaps someone should start working on a Pokemon pipe...although that would probably get us all banned from the universe because it would be marketing to children.

Is that "pipe" actually made of pine on the inside? Certainly isn't briar. :?
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: Not sure how I feel about this...

Post by TRS »

Uck. It's like the 'Nike Airs' of the pipe world......
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

That pipe makes about as much sense as that "English" description of it.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If you look carefully, you'll see that there's probably only one unique example in existence. The maker managed to make on pipe, which he's shown holding, but the pipe has some rather unsightly seams that you can see on the top of the rim there. Unfortunately, that's probably the easiest way to get wood inside the shell of whatever material that is - which I'm going to assume is a ceramic or clay in the living example.

The other two photos in that article are clearly computer generated renderings.

I don't hate it - but I also don't like it. If I saw someone smoking one, I'd be interested enough to inquire, but I have no desire to own one. Kind of like how I'm interested in the Falcon and Quiet Comrade from an engineering and tooling standpoint.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

If it generates more interest in pipes, then I'm all for it. Its a neat design. I might even consider owning one. We'll see.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

If the material eating the wood is ceramic or synthetic stone, I don't think I'd like that bit in my mouth... certainly not a clencher. If he fit an ebonite stem on the end, on the other hand, it might not be so bad... the white contrasting with the a shiny black stem and black stained wood would add more visual interest.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I agree. The designer missed an opportunity with the stem. Taking a cue from the bowl portion, he could have used a similar arrangement with an ebonite or acrylic stem and made the bit rather comfortable.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
NateTheBookie

Post by NateTheBookie »

I have to say, it is a fairly neat design, but the materials are really cheap looking, if you had the same design with a Briar core, and then a jacket made with another hardwood (Purpleheart, Ebony or Zebrawood come to mind, maybe even Maple if you wan a very clean looking lighter wood) with a vulcanite stem, it could be a real thing of beauty. -At least it's not covered in leather :lol:
Nick

Post by Nick »

I want a Naugahide wrapped pipe. But I think hunting Naugas is illeagal in mosts states, except Texas.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Nick wrote:If it generates more interest in pipes, then I'm all for it. Its a neat design. I might even consider owning one. We'll see.
Agreed, it is a good thing that a designer, probably not a pipemaker, is showing an interest in tobacco pipes, in oposition to the anti-tobacco sentiment in society, today.
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

That pipe looks like it has some shock absorption! :lol: I'll never break a shank again!
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/