Centering on a 4 jaw

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
TRS
Site Supporter

Centering on a 4 jaw

Post by TRS »

Great Odin's ravens! Is there any easy way to do this? Whilst eagerly anticipating an Xmas scroll chuck, I'm using an independent 4 jaw. It's a little on the old-as-hell side, so some of the markings are pretty worn. Is there a trick to centering rod stock on it, or is it just eyeball/tighten/spin/adjust/repeat? My ebonite stock is too large in diameter to pass through the hole in the chuck as well.... I can line it up for drilling relatively easily using whatever bit is in the tailstock, but I'd like to be able to turn it down close to the shank without getting eccentric results.....thanks once again!
Schubeck

Re: Centering on a 4 jaw

Post by Schubeck »

All I can say, is you need to have a lot of patience. I have an independant 4-jaw chuck that I use to turn my bowls and shanks down with. I have removed one of the jaws to allow my briar block to fit in there. It usually takes a while to center the block up. I also have a 3-jaw self centering chuck that I use to turn down my rods with. I have seen people with a 4-jaw independent chuck rig up a dial indicator gauge on their lathe and they will center it up that way. Let the tip of the indicator ride against the rode while your (like you said) tighten/spin/adjust/repeat. I believe someone on here might have had that, or I might have read that on Pipedia. Good luck.
FredS

Post by FredS »

You'll get faster the more you do it. You need to use a dial indicator to get it dialed in perfect, but if you don't have one you can just move your cutting tool/tool holder up close and spin the chuck by hand while watching the gap between the tool and the workpeice. Adjust the chuck until the workpiece runs true.

When used properly, an independant chuck is more accurate than a scroll chuck (esp a cheap scroll chuck), and it's not that much more difficult once you get the hang of it.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks for the tip Fred! I never thought of that.
pipesmokerdude

Post by pipesmokerdude »

TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Thanks pipesmokerdude! I wonder if I should get another key..... :lol:
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

FredS wrote:but if you don't have one you can just move your cutting tool/tool holder up close and spin the chuck by hand while watching the gap between the tool and the workpeice. Adjust the chuck until the workpiece runs true.
I'm gonna give this a whirl first. Thanks Fred
Frank

Post by Frank »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:Thanks pipesmokerdude! I wonder if I should get another key..... :lol:
Darn right. Two keys - it never occurred to me. I'm going to make one tomorrow.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett