Making wooden lathe jaws

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Philthy

Making wooden lathe jaws

Post by Philthy »

I thought I had seen a video of someone bolting on some wood to their existing chuck and turning it down a bit to use in turning pipes. I have looked and used the search engine but I cannot find it now that I purchased a Jet lathe and Nova chuck. Anyone recall this or have some feedback on this method. I only have the 50mm jaws and still need to get tower jaws so thought this might get me started.
ToddJohnson

Re: Making wooden lathe jaws

Post by ToddJohnson »

Philthy wrote:I thought I had seen a video of someone bolting on some wood to their existing chuck and turning it down a bit to use in turning pipes. I have looked and used the search engine but I cannot find it now that I purchased a Jet lathe and Nova chuck. Anyone recall this or have some feedback on this method. I only have the 50mm jaws and still need to get tower jaws so thought this might get me started.
That guy died in a tragic attempted pipe turning incident. Probably best to let the idea of wooden jaws die with him.:)

TJ
Nick

Re: Making wooden lathe jaws

Post by Nick »

Dounds like a pretty dangerous idea to me. But I suppose if you got the right wood.... No clue what that wood would be, but...

I'd just save up for some good jaws. Or have a guy in a metal shop make you some.