Hi Forum! I'm glad to show you My first Pipe - blowfish

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Rhino

Hi Forum! I'm glad to show you My first Pipe - blowfish

Post by Rhino »

Hello all,

i'd like to introduce my first self made pipe. It's a so called "blowfish" and i have made some changes to the shape. I read many posts here but have still much to learn, so i'd be happy if someone can give me comments and suggestions.

Like Tyler said here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42

"Do you want the truth, or do you want people to be polite?"

Ok i'd like to face the truth, if that can help me to get better skills.

And thanks!

Rhino

Pipe is very simple, reflecting an attitude to life.
tritrek

Re: Hi Forum! I'm glad to show you My first Pipe - blowfish

Post by tritrek »

WOW!!! :shock:
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

I really like how the shank looks like it is folded into the stummel. And it looks like you have a nice finish on it. Don't think you could ask for much more from a first pipe than what you have here.

I think you did the pipe a disservice with the ridge along the side however. It looks like it was pinched up from the wood, and it interrupts the flow. Like a little speed bump.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

That is an awesome first!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very nice first pipe. The stummel shape is well done. The stem doesn't seem to match the pipe though. It looks too big to me and draws my attention away from the bowl. It may be a bit too long too. I think a smaller and more simple stem would look better. I'm curious if this is just a personal preference thing or if anyone else sees what I'm seeing. It's still a much better first pipe than most of us.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Great first! Waiting for more!
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

T3pipes wrote:I really like how the shank looks like it is folded into the stummel. And it looks like you have a nice finish on it. Don't think you could ask for much more from a first pipe than what you have here.

I think you did the pipe a disservice with the ridge along the side however. It looks like it was pinched up from the wood, and it interrupts the flow. Like a little speed bump.
hi, actually I wanted to make an intersection of two faces. I think the ridge is somehow ugly too.

Thanks for your comments!
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

wdteipen wrote:Very nice first pipe. The stummel shape is well done. The stem doesn't seem to match the pipe though. It looks too big to me and draws my attention away from the bowl. It may be a bit too long too. I think a smaller and more simple stem would look better. I'm curious if this is just a personal preference thing or if anyone else sees what I'm seeing. It's still a much better first pipe than most of us.
Hi Wayne, No you are not the only one :lol: Someone else said to me, he also felt the stem is a little too big...

rhino
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I am, by not stretch, an expert on the blowfish shape, so hopefully someone who's got the bead on this shape will chime in. However, here's my thoughts:

Overall the side profile is good. You did a good job of creating an unterrupted line from from tip of bowl to end of shank.

The shank itself should be longer so that it balances with the size and visual weight of the bowl.

The shank also appears "kinked" at the top where it meets the bowl. I'm not sure if this is an artifact of lighting and camera work though.

The stem is far too big for the stummel. It's much too weighty, and it visually overpowers the entire pipe. Part of the problem is the barrel section of the stem. It stands in stark contrast to the shape of the shank, and at the same time overpowers it. There's two ways you could go with this - work the stem into a flush-fit style and carry the shape of the stem into it, or reduce the barrel section to a coin. For examples of both, take a look at Jeff Gracik's galleries on his site. Jeff has got a really good handle on this shape, and makes some of the best examples in my opinion.

The stem is, as you said, way too long. It appears to be a pre-mold stem, so there's not a whole lot that you can do about that unless you can find a shorter premold. I would have used a stem that's 30% or thereabouts shorter. Especially if the shank was lengthened.

The ridge or crease on the outside of the pipe is not distracting, and is appropriate for the shape - if there's such a thing as "appropriateness". It's tough to tell from the photos, but it appears to get pinched in at the bowl/shank transition area, which I personally would not have done. The pinch is farily abrupt, and and if it's going to change direction between the bowl and shank, it shoul be gradual. This is especially noticable in the bottom photo, but can even be seen in the top one.

Other than that, it looks like you got a really nice piece of briar. And for a an early pipe you've done a really good job of showing attention to detail. Overall it's nice work, and it's definitely something to be proud of.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Extremly well shaped for a first pipe,my congrats!
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

thanks Kurt!

before starting I drawed the shape on paper freehand, till I found the "right" shape. I printed it out and sticked it on the side of my block. The problem was: I did it exactly only from side profile. For the other perspectives I had to use my imagination and measure it from time to time. from the drawing we can see that I also made mistake here: the tenon would be too short.

And the shank is indeed "kinked", which I didn't want to make. I'd like to make it as the red line goes. But my hands just moved too fast here, before I have realized, the material was already sanded away... (stem here is not the stem I used finally)

The stem was indeed pre-mold. For blowfish I need a bigger head and shorter tail. I didn't notice the proportion, and just picked up a block and it was too late when I realized that I could not find a suitable stem...

Anyway, now I have learned and looking at Gracik's works and taking notes :mrgreen: