Rhodesian

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Rhodesian

Post by wdteipen »

Finished this one tonight although I'm not sold on the stain choice. I've been wanting to do this pipe for a long time but never had a block wide enough. Please critique away.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
SWM

Re: Rhodesian

Post by SWM »

Hi Wayne,

a very beautiful pipe to me. Lovely grain. Nice shape variation.

Critique? Well, I could give you my humble opinion, judging from the pics alone. Keep in mind that doesn't mean I could have done it better or could if I tried... :wink:

The top of the bowl seems a little dominant to me. It's kind of hard to say what causes this. After a time looking at the pipe, I think it's not the heighth but the way the notch(?) parts the bowl from the top. The top seems to be a bit wider than the bowl, the two rims seem not to have the same diameter. As for my notion they should be the same or the bowl should be a bit wider than the top. But maybe this is nitpicking...

The stain ads a bit to that. Judging from the pictures (which can be deluding, I know...) it seems to me that the colors do not correspond exactly. The color of the top appears a little "muddy" or "olive" on my monitor whereas the bowl is redish. There is also a high brightness contrast between top and bowl which I personally would tone down a bit.

This said (you asked for it!) it is still a very beautiful pipe I would treasure if I had it in my possession...

Best,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
Walle

Post by Walle »

Wayne,

in this particular case I don´t agree with Steffen at all (which happens not too often).

This simply is a perfect pipe! The shape is one of my favourites; sorry, I cannot see any mistakes as to the dimensions, and the dual-tone execution is both courageous and harmonic.

Congrats!

Cheerio!
Walle
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
SWM

Post by SWM »

Hoorray,

we disagree!!! :fencing:

But only in 2-3 percent of our judgement mind you, as I said, it is in the nitpicking range... (So don't get me wrong Wayne, it is a lovely pipe!)

Best,

Steffen
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Nice pipe Wayne! I really like the shank ring/stem combo; you did a nice job there. Is that ring acrylic?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The only thing that I would change on this pipe is the stem. I'm not a fan of that particular transition from the face of the stem at the tenon. I've done that mind you, but I'm not a fan. I might have gone with a hemisphere transition, or an understated flare.

That said, I really like it! The shank accent appears very well executed, and you managed to keep the corners from getting rounded over. Nice work!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:Nice pipe Wayne! I really like the shank ring/stem combo; you did a nice job there. Is that ring acrylic?

The ring is acrylic. I originally had a horn ring on it but didn't like it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's very useful. I have decided to lighten the red stain to accent the grain better. I'll post pictures when I get it done.
Wayne Teipen
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Wayne you show unbelievable patience and dedication. If I get a pipe that far, all it's all I can do to get it outta my sight on get on to the next one. :notworthy:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
SWM

Post by SWM »

Sasquatch wrote:Wayne you show unbelievable patience and dedication. If I get a pipe that far, all it's all I can do to get it outta my sight on get on to the next one. :notworthy:
Yeah, it's the same with me! But if you consider changing the stain Wayne let me tell you: I love that red! :D Change the other one... :mrgreen: :roll: :banghead:

Best,

Steffen
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Thanks fellas. I decided to change the stain. I lightened it up and went a bit more orange than red. I think it looks much better and shows of the grain more. Here's some updated pictures:
Wayne Teipen
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

KurtHuhn wrote:The only thing that I would change on this pipe is the stem. I'm not a fan of that particular transition from the face of the stem at the tenon. I've done that mind you, but I'm not a fan. I might have gone with a hemisphere transition, or an understated flare.

That said, I really like it! The shank accent appears very well executed, and you managed to keep the corners from getting rounded over. Nice work!

Thanks, Kurt. I'm not a big fan of the "hemisphere transition" stems if I understand what you're referring to. The rounded bulbous, sorta like a reverse or convex saddle, right? I agree, though, that a flare would look nice. On the shank accent, I actually had to rechuck it on the lathe and make some minor adjustments. It was a real PIA but was worth the effort. Acrylic is also a real pain to turn.
Wayne Teipen
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

wdteipen wrote:Acrylic is also a real pain to turn.
Acrylic is the bane of my existence.... :banghead:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

SWM wrote:The top of the bowl seems a little dominant to me. It's kind of hard to say what causes this. After a time looking at the pipe, I think it's not the heighth but the way the notch(?) parts the bowl from the top. The top seems to be a bit wider than the bowl, the two rims seem not to have the same diameter. As for my notion they should be the same or the bowl should be a bit wider than the top. But maybe this is nitpicking...

The stain ads a bit to that. Judging from the pictures (which can be deluding, I know...) it seems to me that the colors do not correspond exactly. The color of the top appears a little "muddy" or "olive" on my monitor whereas the bowl is redish. There is also a high brightness contrast between top and bowl which I personally would tone down a bit.

This said (you asked for it!) it is still a very beautiful pipe I would treasure if I had it in my possession...

Best,

Steffen
Thanks for the honest critique. I think the thickness issue of the top versus the bottom may be due to the first photos being of poor quality. If anything, the bottom overlaps a hair on the shank side of the bowl. It's pretty even everywhere else as far as I can tell. Let me know what you see in the newer pics. I also agree that the top could be shorter or more squat and therefor less dominant. My original design called for the whole thing to be wider and shorter. I didn't notice until relooking at it after your critique. The color on the top is actually natural with an ebony contrast stain. I considered a yellow stain on top but worried that it would be too over-the-top and besides I don't have any on hand. I think the color change tones down the issue somewhat. What do you think?
Wayne Teipen
Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

I am sold on the stain. If only I had money...
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

I don't see it listed on your site. Is it available?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

It sold within 5 minutes of posting. I can't seem to make them fast enough to put on my site which, I suppose, isn't altogether a bad thing. 8)
Wayne Teipen
CedarSlayer

Post by CedarSlayer »

Poetry that is! It seems quite energetic and quite relaxed at the same time. I do like the warmer tone the second time around. It seems to clarify the grain and blend better with the other tones. The two sections still seem to clash a bit, but more like a diminished minor than true discord. Gives the Rhodesian a bit of a stronger jazz feel to it. Not a bad thing at all.

Bob
I would rather look stupid today, than be stupid tomorrow.

http://toolmakingart.com/
Nate

Post by Nate »

Boy Wayne, to see this thing from start to finish, I am always impressed with your abilities. I really like the shape; the curves accent or add to the masculinity of it! The new stain package seems to have hit the mark. I think it brought the two sections of the pipe together, where the first had too much contrast. As you know,I know I'm a newb, so everything with a grain of salt, but I think the top does fit the pipe. The lighter section to me balances against the darker lower segment. If you had gone shorter, would the darker stain have overpowered the shortened top? I hope Coachman turns out half as nice as your BA Rhodie! Thanks for sharing!!
SWM

Post by SWM »

wdteipen wrote:
Thanks for the honest critique. I think the thickness issue of the top versus the bottom may be due to the first photos being of poor quality. If anything, the bottom overlaps a hair on the shank side of the bowl. It's pretty even everywhere else as far as I can tell. Let me know what you see in the newer pics. I also agree that the top could be shorter or more squat and therefor less dominant. My original design called for the whole thing to be wider and shorter. I didn't notice until relooking at it after your critique. The color on the top is actually natural with an ebony contrast stain. I considered a yellow stain on top but worried that it would be too over-the-top and besides I don't have any on hand. I think the color change tones down the issue somewhat. What do you think?
Hi Wayne,

as I said I could only judge from the photos. The new ones are much better in this respect. You did well (IMO) in lightening the stain - I'd call it 'perfect' now :D !

Sold within 5 minutes... so so... I wonder if I will be able to admire it over at Walle's one of the next days and talk it off his hands...

Best,

Steffen
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

:) the second version looks very nice to me :) :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/