Besides Russia where can I get one of these?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
d6monk

Besides Russia where can I get one of these?

Post by d6monk »

Hi everyone,

I was recently talking with a pipe-making friend in Russia and he showed me a very nifty hand chuck that I can't find anywhere here in the states. The one I currently use is more like a pin vise and you tighten it by hand, but I can never get it tight enough, and the keyed chuck on this thing looks like exactly what I need. The chucks on the ends come in different sizes as well! Anyone ever seen anywhere local I can get this, or should I start perusing Russian tool websites? I can't find anything on mcmaster-carr, msc, enco, etc.

Thanks!

DMI

Re: Besides Russia where can I get one of these?

Post by DMI »

Buy a mini chuck and mount it on a handle.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Shouldnt be too diffucult to make your own. Buy a threaded back chuck and appropriate bolt, cut the head off. Drill a hole in a handle and epoxy one end of the bolt, then screw on the chuck. Simples :)
d6monk

Post by d6monk »

And here I was thinking that there was one tool that could be used for pipemaking that I wouldn't have to make myself :wink:. The screw-on chuck idea is good, but I need to be able to twist the handle in both directions so that may be a problem. I guess I could just turn and knurl a piece of steel rod and turn a JT taper on one end. Hmm...
DMI

Post by DMI »

Why do you need to turn the handle in both directions? If you get a keyed or keyless chuck the handle can be fixed solidly. This one at McMaster fits a standard hex handle.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#drill-chucks/=95armn

I've taken one of an old Black and Decker drill that I use to hold stems (by the tennon) when working on them.

David.
David Barnett

Post by David Barnett »

General Tool makes the American version which is available from hardware stores and online sources:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=953047

I have an older model made either by Goodell-Pratt or maybe Millers Falls. Useful.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

David Barnett wrote:General Tool makes the American version which is available from hardware stores and online sources:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=953047

I have an older model made either by Goodell-Pratt or maybe Millers Falls. Useful.
He's specifically looking for one with a keyed chuck; this one is keyless
David Barnett

Post by David Barnett »

My bad!

Yeah, my old handle chuck is keyed, of course, and I completely missed the point. They say the mind's the second thing to go. And to think I de-cloaked from lurk mode just to post that helpful tidbit.

All I can offer is that I come across these occasionally from sellers of old tools online and otherwise.