Pipe Clubs

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
MrChurchwarden

Pipe Clubs

Post by MrChurchwarden »

Lately I have been trying to educate myself in the realm of tobaccos and pipes, but I feel like trolling countless forums, though it has exponentially increased my knowledge, can only do so much. Luckily I have found a club relatively close to home when I go back for the holidays from college, and it seems great (Hudson Valley Pipe Club).
The point is that I was wondering if anyone would like to post clubs they are members of and/or general comments on club smoking.
MrChurchwarden

Re: Pipe Clubs

Post by MrChurchwarden »

Really, no one? I'm gonna have to start making these topic titles a little more interesting, "Nudity" and "free stuff" will have to start cropping up
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I smoke alone. :lol:

There's the Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club of Boston way North of me, and I stopped in from time to time after work. Now that I no longer work up near Boston, it's way too much fuel to get up there once a month.

I'm not aware of anything closer here in Rhode Island. Maybe I should start my own club, where I can elect myself president - then abolish the position.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

We sorta started our own bastardized illegitimate club, we all get together on Saturday night and try different tobaccos, pipes, etc and just general pipe discussion.
Although I'm sure it lacks whatever the "big clubs" have going on, I'm happy with it. Always something new to try, and usually ends way off topic after the alcohol comes into play, but much fun none the less.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
kola

Post by kola »

I smoke alone. I am the George Thouroughgood of pipers.

In fact, I avoid tobacco shop smoking rooms completely...and their "Pipe Nights". There are guys puffing on pipes of different blends, cigar dudes belching out plumes of rotten tomatoes and cig smokers honking their ammonia smells into the mix and quite honestly I can not even breathe in that type of setting.

I like to go in to browse at the new pipes and check out the tobbacos but after that I high tail the hell outta there.

Sorry, call em as i see em. 8)

Kola
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

In Nashville, we have NAPS - Nashville Area Pipe Smokers. We meet once per month and normally have 12 to 15 gentlemen. Last night was our annual Christmas party and fun was had by all.

Tobacco is always shared and many times there are 20+ year old tins passed around for sampling. All are generous in sharing.

It's a lot of fun since there are quite a few pipe makers and one restorationist that are members. We were even graced with the presence of S.E. Thile once! We have RonnieB (master restorer), Jody Davis, Pete Prevost, Steve Morrisette, Scott Holtman, Todd Johnson and me. Not too shabby a group of bastardizers of briar.

Todd and I set up The Briar Studio, a fully functioning 1200 sq. ft. workshop, where all of the above come to work, excepting RonnieB.

And, just to pimp for a second, Todd and I offer pipe making workshops for those interested in learning the process of pipe making. Yes, there is a process. We hold no secrets and I can guarantee you will learn, your skill set will improve dramatically.
Last edited by baweaverpipes on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrJeff

Post by MrJeff »

I too attended my pipe clubs annual Christmas party last night. Really great spread of food, open bar, and lots of friends sharing tobacco. We are lucky in that alot of the wives of members are very involved and help out with preparations. Some of the wives are even members. Pipe club meetings are really the only social thing I do anymore and I look forward to it every month.