Introduction

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
HumblePipe

Introduction

Post by HumblePipe »

Hello everyone, this would be my first post so I thought I would introduce myself with my first pipe I have crafted. Well, she is pretty big and chunky but I figured just as long as I don't tell my friends about her, I should be ok... :oops:
I have a VERY long way to go, but this was extremely relaxing, and very enjoyable working on her. I hope someday I can make it close to even the tiniest bit of caliber as some of you post on here. I will need to get some actual tools eventually, this was mostly made by filing for many hours. I really wish I would have spent much more time sanding, but you live and you learn I suppose. I am looking forward to learning much from all of you, God knows I need it...

Nice to meet you all. Take care,
J
Boekweg

Re: Introduction

Post by Boekweg »

J,

Nice pipe. welcome to the forum. I am a noob here myself. Here on the forum, these guys are very cool and very helpful.
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Boekweg, nice to meet you, thank you for the encouragement, I look forward to learning from all of you.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That thing looks like you could bash someone's brains out with it.

I think the first and most obvious thing to improve is to get the stem/shank joint flush, and it looks like you did some work on the shank with the stem out - this is a no-no. Keep the pipe "built" while you shape and sand.

Tons more material could come off, but first pipes look like this. Now you know what it takes to hack one out and get it smooth, and it just gets easier and easier.

Welcome aboard!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

get rid of the fear of removing more material...
try to look the pipe as two different parts connected together while you are shaping it - the shank/stem part and the bowl of the pipe
the pipe is good for the first try and as Sas pointed - while sanding it keep the pipe assembled especially while you are sanding stem/shank connection....
regards and keep up the good work...

ohhh. one more - you need to make the surface more smooth (if i am not mistaken, it seems to me that you have some marks from a sand paper on the surface)... do not stop sanding until you reach at least a sanding paper grit of 800... this is a minimum...
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Thanks a lot guys! These are great tips for my next attempts. Much appreciated!
JMG

Post by JMG »

Nice first effort. As the other guys said...don't be afraid to remove more briar. Now go make another.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

It's a long way to the top if you want to rock 'n' roll. Not really long though.
You definitely could use some refinement of design, details, and finishing. Did I forget anything?
I usually don't comment unless I like a pipe, and this pipe is, well, I can be polite, but, I guess, I see a lot of room for improvement, and potential. Keep at it.
It's better than my first pipes, not that I consider myself to be an example of a master carver, or anything. :)
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Mike, thanks for the encouragement. Also, I love the AC/DC line, being a musician, that was right up my alley. I really enjoy everyone's constructive criticism, and I plan on exerting it into my next endeavors.
Thanks again
J