a change of direction...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

a change of direction...

Post by billiard »

Today I spent a couple hours sketching and then getting my drilling just right on the last piece of briar I have. I drilled a rod from both ends and got lucky and they met perfect, I cut the tenon on my shopsmith wood lathe, ran the tapered 11/64" I made down it, and cut the slot. Then I rough shaped the whole thing on my 12" sanding disk, including as much of the button as I can do on it before going to files. Super happy with the mechanics of it.

Then something I been thinking about a lot lately finally caught up with me:

I realized that even though I just sent over a hundred pipes to Pipestud I still got a couple hundred in the racks... I don't want to be in the pipe business so I have never had plans to sell new pipes.. I need another pipe like I need a hole in the head....I really got other things I want to make... especially that grandfather clock I been wanting to make for a few years...

So I said screw it, gave the stem a little bend, ran the speed up on the shopsmith, hit the dang pipe with trip at about 5 billion rpm's and called it a shop pipe.
Now I am gonna spend the bits of spare time I get this summer researching grandfather clocks and next winter I am going to build myself one from scratch with my own movement. The money I been saving up for briar should buy all my parts for the clock.

Ya never know, I might make some more briar pipes, I might make some more cobs too, but as of now I am gonna take prolly the next year off of pipes and work on a really nice grandfather clock.

Thanks for all the advice everyone here has given me, I have appreciated your friendship and will surely be buying a few of yours pipes as time goes by, I am really proud of the pipes I have made and will be smoking them the rest of my life.

PS - I will file down the button on this sometime or other and apologies for the crappy cell phone pic but its not a pretty pipe anyhow :)

JMG

Re: a change of direction...

Post by JMG »

Best of luck with the clock...that's cool, man.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Yes, good luck with your clock work!
I truly hope it all works out for you. :D
GBMorris

Post by GBMorris »

Yes, best of luck with the clock! It's great to change up the sort of hobbies one is working on to keep things fresh and interesting.

I myself also have a plan to build my own clock movement from scratch. Maybe some day when I've had enough of pipes for a while, I'll make like you. :D

Cheers,
Greg
Jack of all trades, master of one.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Well gents, here it is one month later and well...

I guess my wife didn't like me moping about the house, lurking here on the forum, and what not.. so she gave Carolyn at Pipe Makers Emporium a call and yesterday, for my birthday, I recieved a nice box with a couple of really nice pieces of briar from my wife and a couple nice little things from Carolyn! Even cooler was today my wife told me she was taking the kids out and I could have the garage to myself for a few hours!

What a lovely birthday present, I got to make myself a pipe today and I have 3 more blocks to play with as time allows :) I will need to give Carolyn a call and say thanks to her as well this week.

Thanks for the comments above on the clock and I will slip back into lurk mode again now,
Bill
Last edited by billiard on Sun May 15, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Did you pull that pipe out of a fire?
Or did you do that on purpose?
If you did that on purpose, well,... Hey,... nice pipe! :thumbsup:
Last edited by Boekweg on Sun May 29, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Boekweg wrote:Did you pull that pipe out of a fire?
Or did you do that on purpose?
If you did that on purpose, well, . . . hey, . . . nice pipe! :thumbsup:
Yeah your right, I deleted the pics.

Apologies for bumping this thread,
Billiard
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Ya, i did write that, but it was just a little humor, you know,...like funny humor, haha, not hurtful ripping humor that was ment to hurt. I would never purposely do that. I'v always been told that i have a morbid sence of humor. In all fairness i did PM billiard and personly apologize if he was hurt by what i wrote. I asked him if he would please repost the pic and get some propper critique by the professionals (since im not). He sent a reply basically telling me (in a very polite way mind you) to "f" off and mind my own business.

Just for future reference, if anyone thinks im being hurtful with my humor, im not. And i will apologize in advance. :D

peace.