proclamation of the empire of earth - humor?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Mike Messer

proclamation of the empire of earth - humor?

Post by Mike Messer »

hear ye, hear ye, hear ye...
Today, May 19, 2011, I have proclaimed the empire of earth (not inc.) and annointed myself emperor (of the planet). Not to worry, for now, I intend to allow everyone to go on living here, but be advised, this is not america, my friend.
I didn't really plan to do this, so soon, but when I filled out the online form to subscribe to Pipe and Tobacco Magazine, the darn thing wouldn't allow me to complete the transaction unless I entered my title and company name, and I don't have an ordinary title or company.
Some history:
The empire of earth has existed for about 4.6 billion years, but has gone, largely, unrecognized by human civilization. This is a somewhat loose organization, and for the record, anyone who recognizes the empire can be emperor. For example, there is a little opossom which frequently visits my back yard, and it too, is emperor of the planet, since opossoms have lived here successfully for over 65 million years. So, you get the idea. The powers-that-be speak in many ways, and the rule is absolute, more or less.
Incidentally, I got my pt-magazine subscription.
M. (emperor)
Mike Messer

Re: proclamation of the empire of earth - humor?

Post by Mike Messer »

It was late.
DMI

Post by DMI »

Mike your are either insanely brilliant or brilliantly insane.

David.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

DMI wrote:Mike your are either insanely brilliant or brilliantly insane.

David.
Thank You (I guess?) :)
But, Yes, I know what you mean. It is that kind of idea, and I try to keep it in perspective, so that I can avoid your second definition.
taharris

Post by taharris »

And all this time I thought I was Emperor of Earth! ...

I guess I'll just go back to being an inconspicuous spec in a cruel universe.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Masterful Emperor,
We missed you in Chicago and wonder if you are going to grace us with your presence in Richmond.
DMI

Post by DMI »

The correct form of address for an Emperor is 'Your Imperial Majesty' or if Oriental 'Your Serenity'

I've worked with a couple of genius's and they were both as mad as hatters, Rob (who made the first LCD TV and designed the guidance system for most of the US's missiles) has trouble with a plug. Mind you most creative people are slightly odd in some way, looking at the world in a different way or seeing what is really there (as opposed to just looking at something) seem to be tied in with creativity.

David.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

baweaverpipes wrote:Masterful Emperor,
We missed you in Chicago and wonder if you are going to grace us with your presence in Richmond.
I lived in Chicago for almost 7 years, and it was a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there. :lol:
Excuse me a moment....
The emperor's secret service (ess) informs me it would be imposible to provide adequate security in a pipe show setting, so I probably will never be able to participate, but if you see a guy with a hat and dark glasses (esp. at night) milling around looking at all the pipes, and probably smoking a pipe and trying to avoid pipe show security guards, you'll know. (maybe I was in Chicago, Chicago, It's my kind of town).

m. (peror) :lol:
Last edited by Mike Messer on Thu May 26, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

taharris wrote:And all this time I thought I was Emperor of Earth! ...

I guess I'll just go back to being an inconspicuous spec in a cruel universe.
If you understand the nature of the empire, then you, too, are the emperor. It a non-exclusive position. 8)

M.
Bosaiya

Post by Bosaiya »

Sounds a lot like Emperor Norton, though his particular beef was with rice.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Bosaiya wrote:Sounds a lot like Emperor Norton, though his particular beef was with rice.
If you see what I'm talking about, there is no similarity to Norton, at least what I read about him...not a meglomania concept, but I don't really want to get too deep into this. It's is a mind-warping kind-of concept, and also, it would be too time consuming...but it's not really a joke. :)
Bosaiya

Post by Bosaiya »

Mike Messer wrote:
Bosaiya wrote:Sounds a lot like Emperor Norton, though his particular beef was with rice.
If you see what I'm talking about, there is no similarity to Norton, at least what I read about him...not a meglomania concept, but I don't really want to get too deep into this. It's is a mind-warping kind-of concept, and also, it would be too time consuming...but it's not really a joke. :)
In the 1850s a man named Joshua Norton felt himself slighted in a transaction, went a little goofy because of it, and proclaimed himself "His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I, Emperor of these United States and Protector of Mexico". He roamed San Francisco decked out with a saber and a variety of feathered hats while accompanied by his dogs Lazarus and Bummer. He spent a lot of time issuing proclamations.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Bosaiya wrote:
Mike Messer wrote:
In the 1850s a man named Joshua Norton felt himself slighted in a transaction, went a little goofy because of it, and proclaimed himself "His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I, Emperor of these United States and Protector of Mexico". He roamed San Francisco decked out with a saber and a variety of feathered hats while accompanied by his dogs Lazarus and Bummer. He spent a lot of time issuing proclamations.
After your first post about Norton, I went to wikipedia, and that's pretty much what I read about him. The HUGE dissimilarity I see is that, if you will note in my earlier posts, the emperor (a symbolic term) is not an exclusive position. Anyone or anything can simultaneously share the title, "emperor" (notice no capital "e"). I'm not head tripping about ruling the world. In this empire, the world rules me. It's a distributed philosophical concept.
I only use terms like, empire, emperor, and proclamation, to contrast the concept with historical human civilization concepts. There is no empire, in the conventional sense, with a capitol, flag, body of legislators, army, etc., and there is no emperor.
Quite frankly, I don't have a clue how the concept could work in current civilization, but I think it is interesting.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Bosaiya wrote:
Mike Messer wrote:
I posted a reply to this, earlier, but it never appeared, so, okay. My take, exactly, Norton went goofy, and as I see it, the concept I am rolling is not at all goofy. I don't want there to be any confusion about this. I'm rational, and I am not ego-tripping. The empire I speak of is very real, and has almost absolute power over this planet. My "proclamation" is designed to define this authority in terms which are common to civilization, and to reveal where the real powers-that-be reside. However, I don't have a clue how this type of concept might be more literally deployed in our current civilizations.
Clear as mud, I guess?