3rd pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

3rd pipe

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

It has been a while since I have actually finished a pipe. I was collecting tools and materials, but now that i have some tools and blocks I am back to work. I had started a 3rd pipe, but cracked the shank, so this is the 3rd finished pipe. I was able to use a lathe to make things square/round and i think I corrected some earlier problems. The photos are still horrible, i am sorry for that. There are also some cracks/flaws on the bottom that are visable in the first photo, nothing that would sand out though. The wax went on super shiny, but lost some gloss after buffing, if anyone has any tips on that i would love to hear. I think this was a lot cleaner pipe than the first two, let me know what you think. comments and corrections are apprecited. thanks

Mike Messer

Re: 3rd pipe

Post by Mike Messer »

Looks pretty good to me. :)
I'm not sure what your wax problem is. I have noticed that wax will dull, noticeably, if the pipe is handled a lot. Maybe you are buffing it too much after application. I apply the carnauba wax with a soft flannel buffing wheel, and then quit. It's done. Handle afterward with a soft cloth or inspection gloves, and store it in a soft leather pouch.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Beautiful work, really great job on this bulldog.
The only critique I have is the picture of the front of the bowl, where it appears the two sides are not even.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

The pipe is leaning slightly to the right in that photo making it appear worse than it is. one side is a little more round than the other, but i didnt notice untill you mentioned it. I dont know if i should try to correct it or not, my friend isnt picking it up untill saturday...
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's a tough shape - it's hard to keep lines straight and panels flat... looks like you did a nice job.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Alden

Post by Alden »

Dont get me wrong, you did an awesome job on the shape here.
I figured the picture probably exaggerated it a bit.
Leave it alone unless your friend has a problem with it.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

My brother came over today and checked out pipe 3 and 4 (which isnt posted yet). The first thing he said was "this is a big sandpit on the bottom?" followed by "the bottom isnt symetrical." i guess if its that obvious to a novice like him it is obvious to everyone. i'll make sure to correct that on the next pipe. no sense in resanding a perfectly smokeable pipe, just move on to the next one.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Nice pipe there.
You did a good job!

:thumbsup: