Bakelite Dust and New Carpets

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Bakelite Dust and New Carpets

Post by baweaverpipes »

Feeling like I have a brick in my chest, I was blaming Nashville's reputation for allergies for feeling like crap. Nashville has more allergists per capita than any other city, we live in a bowl where the air sits with all problematic rascals.

The other day I was shaping a Bakelite stem without my usual respirator. Soon I felt like crap and had to take many breaks, the stuff ain't good fer ya!
The next day the carpets were replaced in four bedrooms, the balance of the house is hardwood. For days I have been dusting, dusting and dusting some more. Where does it all come from?!?!?

With a voice like "Froggy" in the Little Rascals and a headache that would fall an elephant, I just knew it was Nashville's weather. Dumb? Yes, I am!

Yesterday I realized the events and have begun some allergy meds. Yes, it took me until last night to realize the culprits.

The main reason I write this is as a warning. I am normally very careful with Bakelite, the stuff is poison..............it's a mixture of formaldehyde and carbolic acid.

WEAR A RESPIRATOR!

Additionally, have a cleaning crew come in following carpet installation.
Now I'm off to do more vacuuming and dusting!

Did I mention that I have been dusting and dusting?

As Rod Davies would say: "Hope this helps".
Sasquatch

Re: Bakelite Dust and New Carpets

Post by Sasquatch »

I pull up lots of carpets prior to hardwood installs, and man.... you need a bio-suit for that. It's gross.

Take care Bruce, and don't be breathin' that ivory dust either.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Both my kids and I have some pretty serious allergies, so we ripped up all the carpets when we bought this place and put down oak floors. I also, because my workshop is in the basement, am fastidious with dust collection and disposal.

We also have some food allergies as well - and I can tell you first hand what that feels like at 2 AM.

And through a friend I can tell you what the effects of inhaling zinc fumes is. Suffice to say, it ain't pretty.

Wear a respirator people! Life is dangerous enough without purposefully putting yourself in harm's way.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

YEAH and what about these idiots who burn leaves in a wooden bowl and suck on it?

I mean JESUS are they stupid or what??
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Bruce,

Sorry you're feeling bad.

You do realize, don't you, that 98% of dust is human skin? It just sloughs off of us.

That's why heaters stink when you first turn them on when that first cold day requires it. It's also why you can get a new mattress into your house all by yourself, but when you go to replace it 10 years later you've got to find four friends to help get it out.

It's weighed down with all that skin you've sloughed off.

And Purell won't help.

I don't know nothin' 'bout no Bakelite.

Hope this helps.

Rad