3 New Billiards

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ricebiscuit

3 New Billiards

Post by ricebiscuit »

Here are my 3 latest. These come right after my trip to the Chicago show and hopefully show a lot of improvement. I talked to quite a few makers a got lots of tips. I tried to get back to the basics to improve and refine some aspects- particularly the button area. These are all in the .15" range near the button. Let me know what you think with some harsh criticisms!

This is the first white acrylic stem I have done. I was really skeptical at first, but after seeing some of Askwith's stems at the show, I decided to give it a shot.

Tried a new finish on this one.

And a very "rugged" pipe

I also just started up a website. Its very simple but will hopefully get the job done. I dont have any pipes listed yet, but these 3 will be posted soon. Please give me your opinion on the site too. treyricepipes.com

Thanks in advance,

Trey
Trey Rice

Trey Rice Pipes - www.treyricepipes.com
R.H.

Re: 3 New Billiards

Post by R.H. »

:drool: :drool: :drool:
Really nice pipes, good job
Greetings,

Ramón

Post by Alden »

I dont think I'm qualified to critique these pipes, but.......
The second pipe, the sandblast has left the shank visibly just slightly smaller than the stem.
I dont know if thats really such a bad thing, just something I notice in the pics.
The finish is interesting on the third, rustic looking, but I dont think thats a bad thing.
The first pipe, just wow. Very nice work.
Every one of them is very classy work
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Nicely done, Trey! The back of the bowl on the first blast looks a little scooped in compared to the front but that's about all I see.

Rad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I think your bits look nice; that's exactly the range that I shoot for .150" to .140". You might consider blasting more lightly as you get out to the end of the shank. There's a notable difference in size right at the shank/stem junction. Also, on the second pipe, your blast may have changed the shape of the pipe. On a straight, you want the bottom of the shank to rest on a flat surface with minimal light passing through. With a blast some of that's unavoidable, but there's quite a bit with your pipe. There's also some rounding on the saddle on that same pipe where you buffed a tad too much. Crisp lines are better. They're nice pipes though.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Well you certainly listened and took heed, I can really see the improvement. Lovely work on all of them and the white stem is nice! As Ernie as pointed out there are a few little niggles here and there, but like I said to you at the show every pipe is always going to have these, the most important things is that you see them and try and improve on them which you are clearly doing. Keep up the good work and I will be bookmarking your site so I can keep up with how you are doing. Come and see me again at Chicago next year, unless you are doing better than me in which case you can bugger off ;)
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

like the site... pipes are also looking good especially the bits... like them :) nice job...
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Those are beautiful. The 2nd one blows me away.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nice work Trey! You got some great critiques already, I have nothing to add. Really like the look of your buttons, nice job. That white acrylic does look nice, well done! Keep it up, look forward to seeing future work.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Oh yeah, like your site as well, slim and mean! Looks good :)
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Nice work Trey and nice website! The lovat is my favorite and I really like the blast work and stem extensions. Very classic. Can't wait to see more.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com