Prince

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Prince

Post by NathanA »

I was really hoping some guys would step in and break me down pretty good. The last group didn't generate much interest so let's try another one. Here is a prince coming in at just shy of six and three quarter inches with a cumberland stem. This is the last of the ones Kurt blasted for me. Thanks again Kurt. Would love to hear your thoughts,
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
andrew

Re: Prince

Post by andrew »

I may have ended the stem about an inch sooner, but the taper/bend looks really good soooo.... The front and back profiles don't seem to match, but that could be the image. The finish and stem match well. I just spent the past two hours dealing with a leaky faucet, so this pipe is truly a welcome sight. I like it.

P.S. I hate o-rings... a lot. :filth-n-foul: :banghead: :takethat: o-ring :twisted:
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

nice pipe... :)
congratulations :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a good looking prince. I like it a lot. You're looking for some criticism so here are some minor things that I see. Andrew is right that the front of the bowl could use a smidge more briar removed where the bowl meets the shank to better match the shape of the back of the bowl. The rim also appears to slope slightly toward the shank. I don't mind the length of the stem or pipe overall for a prince. Any other shape and andrew would be right that the stem is too long but a prince should be a bit long and elegant. I think the stain color could be lighter to better match the cumberland. The stain color you have on the smooth unblasted parts is a closer match. All that being said, I would buy this pipe if I saw it in a shop. It's very well done. Nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Well done! I like this.
For me the stem is the right length. Wouldn't want it shorter. The shank/bowl transition could be more defined, like already said, to match front to back. But that is fine tuning.
Great stuff!
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback. When I was shaping this pipe I sweated over that stem/bowl transition with some needle files for quite a while. Looking at the pics I totally see what you are saying about the front and back not matching. I went back and looked at the pipe and I think some of it is due to the not-quite-straight angle of the picture but there is definitely room for improvement. I know, I know. I sound like a defensive douche (to use the parlance of our own BAW), but I really do appreciate the help and I am not blowing off the advice, I swear.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
ckr

Post by ckr »

Your shape looks pretty spot on to me. Of the Princes I have noted the backs are pretty much straighter (much less curve) than the front anyway.