Commission -- anyone want to take this on?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Commission -- anyone want to take this on?

Post by Tyler »

I received a call from a fellow a few weeks ago regarding a pipe he is trying to buy. For reasons that will become clear, he is unable to find one to meet his needs. He is trying to replace his favorite pipe, and he was two criteria -- capacity and price. He doesn't care what it looks like and he doesn't seem to care how much it weighs. He just wants a huge cheap pipe. I told him I would post here and see if anyone was willing to make one for him.

First, capacity, he wants a chamber of 1 1/2" diameter or greater. (That is NOT a typo...an inch and a half or greater!!) He is a farmer, and he smokes on his tractor. I guess he is only willing to reload at lunch and dinnertime. He likes a several hour smoke.

Second, price, he's willing to pay roughly $65.

It doesn't have to be finished. A pre-formed stem is fine. He even offered to send the stem in his current pipe to use in the new one. He just wants aligned holes in something that looks sort of like a pipe.

If anyone wants to practice on a huge freaking pipe, let me know and I'll put the two of you together.

He sent me a photo of his old standby that has a 1 1/2" diameter bowl. It's seen better days:

Massis

Re: Commission -- anyone want to take this on?

Post by Massis »

I think the biggest block I have right now won't even fit that kind of diameter without having ridiculously thin walls, so I'll pass.
DMI

Post by DMI »

I've a big lump of Paperbark Cherry that would do the job but I'm not sure if it would stand the heat well.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Wow is that Gorilla Snot holding the thing together ???
Wish I had the briar and a bit that big. I'd get satisfaction knowing every ounce of use would get wrung from it.
If he hasn't found what he needs in another month, I'll do it when my shop is up.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Edward wrote:Wow is that Gorilla Snot holding the thing together ???
Wish I had the briar and a bit that big. I'd get satisfaction knowing every ounce of use would get wrung from it.
If he hasn't found what he needs in another month, I'll do it when my shop is up.
Edward,

I see you are from Dallas?

So's this guy! (or at least somewhere in the metroplex area)
Alden

Post by Alden »

Tyler, I'd be happy to take it on if he doesn't mind waiting probably 4-6 weeks for me to round up a big chunk of briar and the rest of the tools I'm looking for (new chuck, french wheel, belt sander etc.) The price is not a problem, its enough to cover the materials and thats all that matters to me.
Growley

Post by Growley »

I sat down last night and tried to draw out some ideas for that sized bowl. The best I could come up with looked like a smokable tea cup :D That's just a massive bowl.

Whoever takes this on needs to post the pic when they're done. I can't imagine what a good looking pipe with that diameter bowl will even look like. I thought I'd take it on as a challenge... and for the $65 bucks, but I think I've already failed at the drawing stage...

Brian.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I'm thinking it'll probably take more than $65 to get a 1 1/2" drill bit for the bowl. Do any of you guys actually keep one around? :)

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

RadDavis wrote:I'm thinking it'll probably take more than $65 to get a 1 1/2" drill bit for the bowl. Do any of you guys actually keep one around? :)

Rad
You're not helping. :thplt:
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote:I'm thinking it'll probably take more than $65 to get a 1 1/2" drill bit for the bowl. Do any of you guys actually keep one around? :)

Rad
My bits run from .0005" all the way up to 5" by thousandths. If you have anything less than that you're just not a pipe maker. :)
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Tyler

Does the bowl have to be round? or just connected holes... somebody could make an oval shaped tobacco chamber.. seen one from an italian maker.. just a thought...

on a side note.. man that's a serious smoke..

james
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

jogilli wrote:Tyler

Does the bowl have to be round? or just connected holes... somebody could make an oval shaped tobacco chamber.. seen one from an italian maker.. just a thought...
I think Rad was just messing around; you don't need at 1.5" bit. A boring bar would make that an easy task.
frazeeg

Post by frazeeg »

Just buy a cheap spade bit at the hardware store and grind it down to the right chamber shape. Drill out the chamber with sequentially larger drill/forstner bits until you're at 1-1/4" and then use the spade bit. Works for me for normal sized chambers...
-=Pride is not a sin=-
potholer

Post by potholer »

ditch the drill and use a small bowl gouge and turn like a small bowl

regards
dave
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico" - everything becomes common place by explanation :- sherlock holmes
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Growley

Post by Growley »

frazeeg wrote:Just buy a cheap spade bit at the hardware store and grind it down to the right chamber shape. Drill out the chamber with sequentially larger drill/forstner bits until you're at 1-1/4" and then use the spade bit. Works for me for normal sized chambers...

I did just this and apparently don't know how to sharpen well enough. I ended up burning the bowl instead of cutting it. I did eventually get a nice bowl done and would have had a decent pipe, but I messed up on the shank and ended up throwing it out. It was going to be so ugly though. That size bowl will just about fit a golf ball in it.
frazeeg

Post by frazeeg »

Growley wrote:
frazeeg wrote:Just buy a cheap spade bit at the hardware store and grind it down to the right chamber shape. Drill out the chamber with sequentially larger drill/forstner bits until you're at 1-1/4" and then use the spade bit. Works for me for normal sized chambers...

I did just this and apparently don't know how to sharpen well enough. I ended up burning the bowl instead of cutting it. I did eventually get a nice bowl done and would have had a decent pipe, but I messed up on the shank and ended up throwing it out. It was going to be so ugly though. That size bowl will just about fit a golf ball in it.
The trick is to tilt the spade bit a bit when you hone the final edge so it scrapes better. Now, I haven't tried it on briar but it worked well for my testing on black cherry and the coffee burl pipe I tried to make before snapping the shank off (unrelated to the spade bit).

Using a bowl gouge would probably work fine as well. Not that I'm an expert in pipemaking, but it's probably what I would do instead of ruining one of my spade bits.
-=Pride is not a sin=-
taharris

Post by taharris »

frazeeg wrote:The trick is to tilt the spade bit a bit when you hone the final edge so it scrapes better.
Just like if you were sharpening a scrapper.

Todd