Hi, I'm a newbie

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
carthagena

Hi, I'm a newbie

Post by carthagena »

Hello all !

I'm a french guy from Strasbourg. I wanted to know how to make a pipe and I've found this fabulous website. The videos are excellent and the explanations too (when I can understand them).
I've bought a Dremel in order to make my first pipe and I'll order some briar kit. I just wanted to thank Tyler Lane and all the guys here in the forum.
I will certainly ask some questions in the next few days.

Thanks !!!

--
David.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

David,

Welcome and good luck on your first try at building a pipe. If possible, post some pictures of the finished product.

Once again, Welcome!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Heya David,

Welcome. Hope to see you around. Our resident Dremel-o-phile is Random. I think he uses his for about every step of the process.

Later,

Nick
carthagena

Post by carthagena »

Hi and thanks for the welcome message.
You speak about Random, is he the famous pipe maker of the pipes Random ? I don't have any pipe of him but I know some pipes and he is famous for his excellent smokable pipes. I don't know if you understand me... :oops:
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I beleive that would be the same Random. He makes some very very nice pipes and from what I understand, they are very good smokers.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
carthagena

Post by carthagena »

Hi again !

I've spent my time, this week end and those evening shaping my first pipe, with the uglier pre-drilled block they send me, in order to intent it without wasting a good block. Wooow !! I really had fun in making the pipe, I think I've never been concentrated a long time like this without boring.

Well, I've had some problems, because of big sandpits and because I didn't sand the pipe correctly at the beginning, but now I am nearly satisfied on the result of the briar part.

But... A thing I've not though about is the link with the stem : I made the diameter of the shank too small for the stem. So, I reduced the diameter of the stem... Bad idea, because :
- first, the stem doen't fit in the shank (i reduced the length that permitted the stem to go on the shank, while sanding)
- it is horrible as it

So, I answer you if putting a ring could increase the length and then the stem would be ok with the shank. You think ?

I'll post a photograph when I complete this finition. It's not too bad for a first time...

Thanks,
David.
carthagena

Post by carthagena »

random wrote: If you can describe the current state of the pipe we may be able to help you fix it. It sounds like currently the tenon is too long for the mortise and the shank-end may not be perpendicular to the mortise?
I thought the tenon were too long for the mortise, but actually not. Well, this evening I take the length of the two parts to compare.
Yesterday at evening I intented to put the stem of another pipe I have (a Butz-Choquin) with a smaller diameter. It was not bad, but I can't take it ;-)
For the moment I let the stem that was on the kit, but it is big. I think a smaller one could fit...

This evening I post a photograph for you to help me.
Thank you very much :D

--
David.
carthagena

Post by carthagena »

Hi !

If you want to show the problem I was speaking about, there's the picture of it ! I don't know what I could do to solve the problem. It's very hard too me that the pipe cannot be completed... :cry:

(I deleted the picture, now the problem is solved, thanks !!)

You can see the whole pipe in my gallery :wink:

Thank you all, 'cause without this website I don't know how I could have began shaping a pipe.

David.
Last edited by carthagena on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marks

Post by marks »

Welcome David.

One additional piece of advise I could give to what Random has already told you is that when you use the sandpaper to flatten the end of the shank on the pipe, use fine grits of paper. It is very easy to take too much off the end of the shank with more coarse grits. I would suggest 400 grit or so and you can go smoother or coarser as needed.

Good luck in your pipe making.
carthagena

Adjusting the stem to the shank

Post by carthagena »

Hi and thank you for the detailled tips. Thank to your advises I had an idea of what is the problem : at the beginning the mortise's diameter was bigger and while sanding it this space doesn't exist anymore. I think I can resolve that problem by sanding the face of the shank . I had this solution because I was wondering why another stem could be adjusted and not this one : it's because from the beginning, the link between the tenon and the stem is not square but round !

But I don't have the tools to square it correctly, I think. So, I will create a countersize in the shank face, like there were a bevel.

Sorry for my english :oops:
I'll give you some news :wink:

David.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Your English is fine David. And certainly much better than my French.