Passing the Torch

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Passing the Torch

Post by NathanA »

I was out in the garage this morning, not actually working on a pipe but reorganizing and cleaning, when one of my two year old twin girls pops her head out and says, "Daddy, Daddy! I wanna make pipe!" :D
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Ocelot55

Re: Passing the Torch

Post by Ocelot55 »

That is amazing Nate. You are truly blessed. I am not a father, but I can imagine what that feels like. Congrats.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

NathanA wrote: "Daddy, Daddy! I wanna make pipe!" :D
Awesome. My girls love hanging out in the shop too, playing with the sandpaper and wood blocks. Here's one of my birthday presents from last January:
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

That is heart warmingly wonderful. Aren't kids awesome?

She made a great guide, there. Have you considered having it printed? Might be a cash cow just sitting under your nose. ;)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

All of this almost makes me want kids....ALMOST!!!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Not only is that book absolutely adorable, but it's also every bit as helpful as the Pimo guide.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

You win, Tim. Yours is cuter, but keep in mind mine can't write yet. :lol:
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Sorry Nathan, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread! :lol: I've got nothing but respect for your ability to turn out pipes though. I get about 30 mins. a day and my girls are 4 years apart; I can only imagine what it's like with 2 year old twins!
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

No hijacking whatsoever, Tim. :D I am glad to see that there are others hoping to pass on the tools at some point. I certainly don't want to compare my self to an Ivarsson but that sure would be cool to keep it going for generations.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

This thread is full of WIN.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I always enjoy having my three older kids "helping" in my shop (ages 2, 4 and 6). They get pretty busy with the sandpaper. I've considered turning over a couple shop pipes over to them for finishing. We'll see how that goes.... Glad to see other guys letting the kids in on the pipe making.

The book is fantastic. At least as good as PIMO. The illustrations are definitely better.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:
Awesome. My girls love hanging out in the shop too, playing with the sandpaper and wood blocks. Here's one of my birthday presents from last January:
Crap, it's like she has been lurking in my shop for weeks, documenting my secret processes. Now everyone will know!!!

:)

Super cute.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I have had lots of help in my shop over the years--some better than others!

My son though, is really interested. I need to set him up working on a kit soon.

In a few years all the multi-generational pipe makers like the Ivarsson will be passé, especially with all the genetically available talent in this group.
pereu

Post by pereu »

This is beautiful! So nice!
In German we say: "Kindermund tut Wahrheit kund!". German very old saw. It means: "Children speak the truth."
Leus

Post by Leus »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:Image
Hey, isn't that the OnePiece® method?

(so cute!)
Growley

Post by Growley »

My 8 and 10 year old girls love working in the shop with me. My 8 year old girl has a particular interest in making pipes, at least from the outside view she does. She really just wants to be with her daddy and to do what I'm doing. Sometimes it's the hardest thing in the world when you're in the making zone to stop and let them "help" you, but it's such a good thing to do, both for you and for them.

Seeing how her grandparents about pass out when they see her put a pipe to her lips trying to be like daddy, I've started thinking of other things they can make with me in the shop. Last year they made pendants and things for their mother for Christmas. They LOVE the sanding, staining and especially the buffing process. It's great for kids to spend this time with their dads.

I had an 8 year old neighbor boy come up to me just yesterday while I was sanding a pipe on my sander. He had all kinds of questions and seemed interested enough in what I was doing to ignore his friends on the trampoline, that I decided to stop and make something with him. We made a canoe. It was like he had never seen tools before... crazy. It's a different world from where I grew up anyway...
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Growley wrote:I had an 8 year old neighbor boy come up to me just yesterday while I was sanding a pipe on my sander. He had all kinds of questions and seemed interested enough in what I was doing to ignore his friends on the trampoline, that I decided to stop and make something with him. We made a canoe. It was like he had never seen tools before... crazy. It's a different world from where I grew up anyway...
That kid was me. I treasure that canoe. ;)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Great thread.. my neighbors grandkids pop over ever once in a while... thier feedback is hilarious... but when I pulled out my ivory stash.. thier eyes lit up like you wouldn't believe...

Steffen over on the german forum helped a kid make a pipe for the kids grandfather.. here's the link http://www.daskunstportal.at/pipemaker/ ... ater#p9734 .. the pictures say it all

james
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:

She gets bonus points for not using two 2x4's.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

This thread is awesome.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad