The Big Rig

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

The Big Rig

Post by billiard »

Howdy Everyone,
My first post of the year, so a little catch up before I get to the actual purpose of this post :)

Please no need to critique these as I am just posting to be part of the community and will ask for a critique when I no longer see 5000 things that I still need to work on. all hand cut stems and that.

Here is the last pipe I made last year, just thought I would have some fun to close out the year:

First pipe of this year (made over the holidays, very small and light):

my 2nd pipe of this year was snatched out of my hands right off of the buffer so I don't have apic to share, was a bent sitter.

My 3rd pipe this year (2 pics, why not):

-------

Now to get to the fun part.

Last March, shortly after switching from messing with corn cobs to messing with briar, I posted a black rustic pipe and this conversation ensued:
Mike Messer wrote:Very cool looking pipe.
----------------------
Boekweg wrote:That is a really nice pipe Bill. It almost looks like you turned a piece of asphalt into a pipe! :D Im trying to work on my shank/bowl transition right now. it looks you got it figured out. 8)
I had the same thought when I first saw the pipe..asphalt. I have a big chunk of asphalt on my living room table from the recent repaving of my street, and there is a definite similarity.
----------------------
Well the name "asphalt" stuck for my black rustics, I mean who am I to argue with an artisan who keeps a big chunk of asphalt on their living room table?! :D

So the other night my son and I were playing outside with his toy cars\trucks and I was smoking one of these asphalt pipes I had made. One of the trucks had come to rest up against my pipe that I has set down.... well.... needless to say... the rubber hit the road right then and there!

So...

I had to...

Gonna make a "Big Rig" and do an oversized LB, in my asphalt rustication, with a second chamber in the giant shank :) This is not the tire I am gonna use, this one is a guide to help me size it all and a new one will get put on when done. Will need to order spare tires of course, I mean the owner will need to bring it in for rotation every 5000 bowls or so :D

Hope to finish it up by next weekend.

Well that's enough out of me, back to lurk mode I go, cheers all!
Ocelot55

Re: The Big Rig

Post by Ocelot55 »

Just when you think you've seen it all......

You've really got me curious. I can't wait to see it.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Very cool idea! I can't wait to see the finished product!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
billiard

Post by billiard »

Well... when I got off work today I got to rough shaping it and I hit a big flaw in the shank. Normally this flaw would have worked itself out but since I had a massive mortise running nearly the length of the shank that block is officially firewood now.

Ah well, neat idea. I will probably try another LB with a second chamber hidden in the shank again down the road but for now it is back to standard mechanics, I am not Random, or trying to set the world on fire with my pipes, but it was a fun little trip into experimenting. Back to work again.

Many thanks,
Bill
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

That's too bad, Bill. Oh well, flaws happen. I do hope you follow through with the idea sometime in the future.