Bent Apple

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Bent Apple

Post by wdteipen »

Finished this one up today. Critiques appreciated.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: Bent Apple

Post by TRS »

Great looking pipe! No criticisms, but a question; it looks like when you do inlays they're attached to the shank end as a cap and then the stem tenon fits into that. Any particular reason, or just a preference?
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

critique?.. very nice wayne..... the only issue I see is in the 3rd picture.. there seems to be an angle in the mouthpiece where the line isn't curved... probably just the picture though because I don't notice it anywhere else on the other photos

congrats

james
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

A yup. That's a nice one.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:Great looking pipe! No criticisms, but a question; it looks like when you do inlays they're attached to the shank end as a cap and then the stem tenon fits into that. Any particular reason, or just a preference?
Personal preference really. I think rings look better attached to the shank as opposed to the stem. The only problem with doing it this way with patterned stem material and not using Delrin tenons is that it's nearly impossible to line up the pattern in the stem with the pattern in the rings on the shank because so much material is removed for the tenon. Of course, I suppose if one is motivated enough he could use some sort of plug cutter to make the rings out of the material that is removed for the tenon. I'll have to try that at some point.
Wayne Teipen
Tommi

Post by Tommi »

Hello Wayne,
this is an gorgeous pipe.
The sanblasting is fantastic.
I love the harmony of the colors between stem, inlay and bowl.
Greetings Tommi
my English is bad
JMG

Post by JMG »

Wayne, you make some classy looking pipe bud. Your button work on the last few have looked really great too. Have you changed anything up on that?
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

JMG wrote:Wayne, you make some classy looking pipe bud. Your button work on the last few have looked really great too. Have you changed anything up on that?
Not really. The button shape is pretty much the same as I've always done (although sometimes I like to put a Dunhill-esque concave curve on the end of some pipes) but I have been working hard to thin out the bit to around 0.14". In the past I've been closer to around 0.17". That little bit makes a huge difference in appearance and mouth feel. Maybe the thinner bit is making the button look better too.
Wayne Teipen
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

even the difference between .16 and .15 is quite noticeable.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
taharris

Post by taharris »

Wayne, that is one sweet pipe!

Todd
Growley

Post by Growley »

Wayne,

I've never been a huge fan of the bent apple shape. To me it always seems like the bowl hits the stem too soon, but it's just the way that shape is. Your pipe here however makes me reconsider that shape. That's a very nice looking, dare I say handsome pipe. I really like it. No critique to offer ya, but on the 5th picture, are there ridges moving vertically to the top of the bowl? I can't quite tell if they're really there, of if it's a camera thing.

Very nice pipe!

Brian.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I can see the difference in the bite on your newer work. It looks cleaner/more refined. This one looks like a perfect "all day" pipe.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

:notworthy:

One day sir, I will shell out some cash for one of your pipes! Hopefully they won't be going for thousands of dollars by then.
jdkearns

Post by jdkearns »

Wayne - that is a great looking pipe! One thing I noticed - actually I think Growley's keen eye caught it, I went back and looked - were the ridges on the top of the bowl, and I for one love it... The attention to detail is terrific.

As for the .14 - man I sweat it going below .16 (but you know, THREE whole pipes in and all!). I really like the look of the Dunhill buttons - again, great work.

Great job and thanks for posting. Wish I had the cash!!!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to by 'ridges on top of the bowl.' There are two small flaws on the rim on the shank side. Is that what you are referring to?
Wayne Teipen
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

wdteipen wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to by 'ridges on top of the bowl.' There are two small flaws on the rim on the shank side. Is that what you are referring to?
I think they're talking about where the sandblast meets the smooth rim edge...?
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hi Wayne,
stylish ,well balanced with a shiny blast...how could one ask for more! :thumbsup:
Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/