Sorry guys, yet another first pipe.........

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nank Brown

Sorry guys, yet another first pipe.........

Post by Nank Brown »

Hello guys, these are some photos of my first pipe. This is supposed to be a modified horn with a handcut lucite stem. Please help me become a better pipe maker!! Thanks, Nank Brown

Spes mea in deo est
Nank Brown

Re: Sorry guys, yet another first pipe.........

Post by Nank Brown »

never the mind, I cannot figure out how to get pics uploaded lmao
Spes mea in deo est
Nank Brown

Post by Nank Brown »

lets try this instead then.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75324009@N03/
Please forgive me for what you all will have to go through to view these pics, I am just a little rusty when it comes to these damn computers
Spes mea in deo est
Nank Brown

Post by Nank Brown »

Spes mea in deo est
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Looks like you got the picture link thing figured out, though they are showing real little.

As for the pipe, I think in general terms, the advice I'd give you is to err on the side of taking more material off. Even on a flowing shape, you need some definition. A lot more material could come of the inside of the curve and really sharpen the shape up.

Flow is the other thing to shoot for on a pipe like this - the stem should really be an integral part of the shape, for example, not a separate entity with separate lines.

But.... you got the basic idea of how to make a pipe, so now you just have to dial in 500 little factors and get rich like the rest of us!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
andrew

Post by andrew »

I'd find a shape that you like and try to mimic it. At least you've reached the point of being able to smoke it! If you're looking for somewhere to start take a look through these:
http://www.dunhillpipes.com/Products/Pages/Pipes.html
That will at least give you a good place to start. Glad to have you here. Don't apologize for a first pipe. Everyone here has them.
Nank Brown

Post by Nank Brown »

sas- after looking at the damn pipe some more I know your right........it could use ALOT of work yet.....right now it looks like a blackpowder horn!! I guess if I dont like it as a pipe i will just hollow out the inside and plug up both ends and use it as a powder horn!! haha

andrew- I checked out the link you posted and I think i know the design I will try to make next thank you!

Thanks to both of you guys! very thoughtful posts

Nank
Spes mea in deo est
Growley

Post by Growley »

Here's my 2 cents. You've already sanded and polished your pipe and essentially finished it. Be proud of it as your first pipe and get started making another. Take all the comments you get and things you've observed and put it into another pipe rather than obsessing over this one.

It will be fun for you some day a few years down the road to pull it off of the back of the shelf, dust it off and say, "yep, this here was my first pipe, see how far I've come!"

My first pipe is nasty...and I'm glad I left it that way. We all start somewhere :wink:
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I agree with Brian. It's neat to see how fast you will progress. It's easy to feel a bit like a clod compared to some of the craftsmen we have on this site, but if you have fun making pipes there is nothing more satisfying than creating something useful and beautiful.

Keep working and absorb some info. I can't wait to see the next one.