The 6th pipe I made, Tomato

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pzhan

The 6th pipe I made, Tomato

Post by pzhan »

This is the 2nd pipe I made this year, and the 6th pipe I made in total, A Tomato :P
Let me know what you think, many thanks.

Ocelot55

Re: The 6th pipe I made, Tomato

Post by Ocelot55 »

I love the overall proportion and shape. The shank cap also looks great. I just have several inquiries. First, is that exposed plateau on the bottom, or has it been rusticated to cover a flaw? Second, in picture 2, what on earth is that insert thing in the shank? Everything else looks great. I'm personally not a fan of the colour though.

Anywho, great job. This pipe is still better than the ones I've put out. :thumbsup:
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

Ocelot55 wrote:I love the overall proportion and shape. The shank cap also looks great. I just have several inquiries. First, is that exposed plateau on the bottom, or has it been rusticated to cover a flaw? Second, in picture 2, what on earth is that insert thing in the shank? Everything else looks great. I'm personally not a fan of the colour though.

Anywho, great job. This pipe is still better than the ones I've put out. :thumbsup:
thanks for your reply and the good words :P
first, that is plateau on the bottom, i kinda like the look of it. :wink:
second, that is a horn insert on the shank. i made a mistake when i drill the air hole.
in order to make it smokable, i made a fill with a small piece of horn and steel tube. :banghead: which is not easy to do. (i paid for my mistake. :D)

thanks again, and have a nice day. :P
Growley

Post by Growley »

Pzhan,

I personally think this is an interesting pipe. Too bad about drilling through the top. That had to add some frustration. Conventionally the color is probably a little off, but for some reason I like it with the tomato shape. It makes me think of a tomato that isn't quite ripe yet. I'm guessing you mixed black and yellow and it turned a little green on ya?

I like the thickness of the shank, the shank cap and the stem itself. What did you make the cap out of?

The main critique I'd offer, other than don't drill through the top of your stem :D is on the stem side of your bowl. I'm not saying the shape doesn't work, but I feel like if you matched the front and back of your bowl a bit better you'd have a better overall effect for a tomato. I took few minutes in Photoshop to show you what that would look like. (Yes, I guess I'm that bored today) Take it or leave it for the next one, it's just a suggestion.

Kudo's for sticking with it and fixing the problem. I would have chucked it (possibly with some force) into the scrap pile if I did that.

Here's what I'm talking about...

pzhan

Post by pzhan »

Growley wrote:Pzhan,

I personally think this is an interesting pipe. Too bad about drilling through the top. That had to add some frustration. Conventionally the color is probably a little off, but for some reason I like it with the tomato shape. It makes me think of a tomato that isn't quite ripe yet. I'm guessing you mixed black and yellow and it turned a little green on ya?

I like the thickness of the shank, the shank cap and the stem itself. What did you make the cap out of?

The main critique I'd offer, other than don't drill through the top of your stem :D is on the stem side of your bowl. I'm not saying the shape doesn't work, but I feel like if you matched the front and back of your bowl a bit better you'd have a better overall effect for a tomato. I took few minutes in Photoshop to show you what that would look like. (Yes, I guess I'm that bored today) Take it or leave it for the next one, it's just a suggestion.

Kudo's for sticking with it and fixing the problem. I would have chucked it (possibly with some force) into the scrap pile if I did that.

Here's what I'm talking about...

Yes, you are right. the shape is the 2nd mistake i made on this pipe. :banghead: sorta.
i was plan to make the shape just like what you draw, but it changes when i sanding it.
but i like what turn out. i am going to smoke this pipe anyway. :P

the color i use was black and yellow. you guessed it. :mrgreen:
i think it is something to do with the color balance of camera, :shock:

btw, the cap is made of horn, it is the same as the fill.

thanks for your feedback :thumbsup: