4-12 Cutty

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ocelot55

4-12 Cutty

Post by Ocelot55 »

Gentlemen, please allow me to present my latest monstrosity:

IMHO, this is my best pipe to date. I'm really looking for some constructive criticism on this one guys. Any critique is welcome. I really want to improve as a craftsman. Thanks for looking.
maxmil

Re: 4-12 Cutty

Post by maxmil »

Perfect pipe.
Best regards.
Félix

Una pipa perfecta.
Saludos.
Félix
DMI

Post by DMI »

Now thats my kind of pipe, simply classic lines.

But technicaly it's a Belge as it has no spur, or do I still not understand the difference.

David.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Wow, That is definitely your best pipe yet. The only critique I can find to offer is, from what I see on your pics, I think your final polish still has room for improvement. It's hard to get a really great polish with the wrong gear and very easy with the right gear. The Bealle Buffing System took my polishing up a few notches for sure.

Really though, that looks like a great pipe. Why do you mark 4-12?

Nice work.

Brian.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a good looking pipe. A straight on profile shot would make it easier to critique the overall flow and shaping but from what you've shown us I like it a lot.

And, Brian, I think he marks if '4-12' because he is from the future. So, in our time, Ocelot isn't quite good enough to make a pipe that nice but will be soon.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Why do you mark 4-12?
He's going to kick himself when he looks at a calendar....
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

I mark the pipe '4-12' because it is the fourth pipe I've made in 2012, not including rejects.

Wayne, I realized last night that I needed a profile picture of the pipe. I was pretty proud of the button work on this one, nice and thin, and wanted to show it off. Unfortunately, the pipe is already in the hands of its new owner so taking a picture now would be difficult. :banghead:

As far as the difference between belge and cutty...... :?:
I've never been fond of the spur and always liked the name 'cutty.' The gentleman I made it for has a Stanwell HCA 1, and wanted something similar. He called the shape a 'danish.'.....beats me. All I know is that it's a pipe.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

That looks great! I agree with you and everyone else that this is your best pipe yet! Good on ya! :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard