Leafy Bulldog

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Growley

Leafy Bulldog

Post by Growley »

I just finished this one up this afternoon. This will be my entry into the GKCPC 2012 Pipe Carvers Contest. The requirements were anything that basically resembled a bulldog. I had this concept in mind and am really happy with how it turned out. I've still a tweak or two, a few marks to remove and so on, but it's basically done. If I had a stamp, this would be my first official Growley.

I'm curious, does this design already exist? If not, what do you think I should call it?

Thanks for looking.

Brian.
AaronC

Re: Leafy Bulldog

Post by AaronC »

very nice, i really like that shape.
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

That thing is gorgeous. Great job, it is not like any other I have seen and it is very pleasant to me.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Thanks guys. I might try to take some better pics of it tomorrow so you can see it better. If I do, I'll swap them out.
cmueller

Post by cmueller »

great job
K.Anastasopoulos

Post by K.Anastasopoulos »

Very nice shape. For some reason, it reminds me a sparow!
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Really nice interpretation of the bulldog, I like it a lot!! :D

The only thing I could comment about is that in my opinion the lines in the transition from shank to the stem could be a little bit smother and following, at least as from what I can see from the top vies in the 7th picture.

Other than that and even including that it is an awesome pipe!
JMG

Post by JMG »

That's pretty slick, Brian. It looks like a cross between a bulldog and an eskimo to me..."Bullmo" perhaps. Though it pains me to see you put your nicely polished pipes on that concrete.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

this is a very nice idea... like it a lot... i don't remember that i have seen it somewhere...
wishing you luck at the contest....
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Brian, I had no clue that you were entering in the GKCPC 2012 Pipe Carvers Contest! I was just talking with my fiance yesterday about entering. Once I saw the other competitors it gave me pause. I still don't know if I will, though I think it would be fun to give it a go.

As for the pipe: absolutely stunning grain, finish is perfect, the shaping looks great, and your button work on this one has really improved. I have one aesthetic critique about the design, though, it seems to me that the transition between the shank and the bowl could be more defined by bringing the flat top part of the shank meet the bowl about 1/4" or so below the double beads around the bowl. Just my opinion.

That is a really cool bulldog, one you can be proud of. :thumbsup:
Growley

Post by Growley »

Ocelot55 wrote:Brian, I had no clue that you were entering in the GKCPC 2012 Pipe Carvers Contest! I was just talking with my fiance yesterday about entering. Once I saw the other competitors it gave me pause. I still don't know if I will, though I think it would be fun to give it a go.

As for the pipe: absolutely stunning grain, finish is perfect, the shaping looks great, and your button work on this one has really improved. I have one aesthetic critique about the design, though, it seems to me that the transition between the shank and the bowl could be more defined by bringing the flat top part of the shank meet the bowl about 1/4" or so below the double beads around the bowl. Just my opinion.

That is a really cool bulldog, one you can be proud of. :thumbsup:
Yeah, Tyler and I were talking one day about the contest and he was telling me how awesome the prizes were (which they are) and who all would probably be entering and I replied by saying, "So, you're saying I should buy a raffle ticket.. :D " With the experience of the contestants I don't plan on winning, but I figured it would be cool to enter.

I think I'm doomed anyway. Other than the fact that it has to resemble a bulldog, about the only other thing they said is, if it's too big or too small it won't fit in the case. This pipe, as most of my pipes, is pretty small.

As far as your critique, I think I see what you're saying, but I was looking for something a bit different. I really didn't want there to be a transition on this one. I wanted it to look like it was sitting right on the deck so to speak.

Thanks for the compliment and the critique. I appreciate it.

Brian.
Tommi

Post by Tommi »

Hello,
nice idea, great job.
Greetings Tommi
my English is bad
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Great job, Brian! This is a really great pipe you've made here.

Since you're entering it, I'm gonna toss some really specific opinion type stuff at you that I think would increase your chances of winning.

The lines on the top of the shank look a bit rounded. I think that if you sharpened those up, the pipe would look more refined and slick. Also, the "fin" on the top of the stem looks bumpy on the ridge. I think if you cleaned that up a touch you'd be a contender.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

PS - A guy on Brothers of Briar proposed calling the pipe the "Bull Whale," which I kinda like for this piece.

-Tyler Beard
Growley

Post by Growley »

UberHuberMan wrote:PS - A guy on Brothers of Briar proposed calling the pipe the "Bull Whale," which I kinda like for this piece.
Man, I just can't take you seriously with that Avatar :lol:
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Growley wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:PS - A guy on Brothers of Briar proposed calling the pipe the "Bull Whale," which I kinda like for this piece.
Man, I just can't take you seriously with that Avatar :lol:
Lol! I have no idea what you're referring to. That's my serious face. 8)

-Tyler Beard
LAH

Post by LAH »

Man, that's a cool piece! It kinda seems birdish to me.

Abe
taharris

Post by taharris »

I don't know what to call it, but I like it.

Nicely done.

Todd
Alden

Post by Alden »

I'm curious about the contest. I see that if you *dont* win, they offer to sell the pipe for you at the show. If you *do* win it becomes part of the 7 day set that gets raffled. I assume prestige and honor and glory are the only prize if your pipe wins ?
Growley

Post by Growley »

Edward wrote:I'm curious about the contest. I see that if you *dont* win, they offer to sell the pipe for you at the show. If you *do* win it becomes part of the 7 day set that gets raffled. I assume prestige and honor and glory are the only prize if your pipe wins ?
That's what I assumed, but from what I understand the 7 winners split most of the raffle money. Prestige, honor and glory will also be part of the take :D I don't honestly think I have a chance of winning, but It will be cool to see what happens.