Pipe #7- what would you call him?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
The Smoking Yeti

Pipe #7- what would you call him?

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Well, here he is. I decided to go with a natural finish on this bad boy, I like how he turned out. Thoughts?

Please be honest with the feedback.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Blueb3

Re: Pipe #7- what would you call him?

Post by Blueb3 »

Really hard to tell from the pics, why don't you send it to me, and I'll give it a long-term review?

:D

Looks really good, what is the woods used for the extension? Also, really nice use of the grain.
The Smoking Yeti

The extension is African Blackwood- and thanks :)

Hudson

Post by Hudson »

I think I'd refer to it as an Everyday Tuxedo. It is both elegant and inviting.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Thassa nice lookin pipe man.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Growley

Post by Growley »

Cool pipe. The shape is starting to grow on me. You added in some more difficult elements and did a nice job with them too. I've got nothing for a name though. Sorry.

It's almost like Gandalf meets Viking or something.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

That's a great number 7. I cant tell if it's your lighting or not, but if that stem isn't shiny, I'd want to spend some time on the wheel making it glassy. You did a good job following the grain, but the shaping is almost half way between classic and organic. Not a huge deal (especially for #7), but you might consider it on your next pipe.

Not a big deal, but if you didn't line that blackwood with something, you might catch some flak. I believe it's considered toxic although, it probably wouldn't affect your average person.

Good work!
The Smoking Yeti

I have delrin running through the Blackwood, fear not.

Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I like this one alot. It reminds me of a tree where a limb comes out of the trunk. I find it very well done, and I like the rings as well.
Ironpenny

Post by Ironpenny »

Absolutely gorgeous pipe ..
“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.”
The Smoking Yeti

Thanks man!

Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

This is a really pretty pipe! It's nice to see someone making freehands that don't look like the person smoking them would be stuck in the year 1973. This has a real modern feel to it but still hearkens back to the era of freehands (minus the bell bottoms and mutton chop sideburns). I really like the blackwood extension as well (gives it a nice modern feel but still makes it feel organic--as you're still using wood as an extension).

My one crit (and this is small) is I wish the angle wasn't so steep. However, I can't even fault you for that because, like Ernie, I thought you followed the grain so well.

Speaking of, I was wondering if Ernie could expand on his comment (because I thought it was interesting), when he mentioned that the shaping was almost halfway between classic and organic (again, because you did a good job following the grain) and that you need to be careful of that next time. Is it generally not a good idea to mix two genres/shapes? or, were you strictly speaking about the particular shaping in this instance? As a newbie pipe maker , I'm just curious, so I would like to get Ernie's opinion on this (as well as other more experienced pipemakers).

In any case, this is a really beautiful pipe! I love the finish of the stummel. It almost looks oil cured. Is it?
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
The Smoking Yeti

I didn't do any curing or anything on this pipe. It has a very thin coat of laquer and a Carnuba wax buff. But I really must say- thank you for the encouragement, it means a lot to me! I'm easily frustrated with my work :P