new lovat

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
andrew

new lovat

Post by andrew »

well, this is a lovat. It's not terribly exciting. Definitely not gonna light the world on fire with it. But let me know what you think. Thanks ahead of time.

Ok, so this last image sucks, but work with me, try not to focus on the crisp background.
Ocelot55

Re: new lovat

Post by Ocelot55 »

Wow, Andrew. You did an excellent job getting the shank a consistent size. I've never attempted apipe with that long a shank, but I hear that is difficult to pull off.

The only thing I don't like is the stem. I think a traditional saddle stem would have looked better IMHO. Plus it looks a hair long for traditional lovat proportions.

Still, great job. It may not set the world ablaze but it will probably be a great vessel for blazing tobacco! :mrgreen:
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Man that is one long, slick shank! How long is it actually?

I really like it=)
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Nice pipe. I think it's a bit tough to gauge the proportions with those angles instead of profile shots.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nice work Andrew!
andrew

Post by andrew »

The shank is 4-3/8" long. If I drill the chamber on my lathe I can't make any longer. I was clearing my bed by about 1/16". A little nerve wracking.
Thanks guys.
Tommi

Post by Tommi »

Hello Andrew,
i love this Shape, very good work.
Best wishes Tommi
my English is bad
Growley

Post by Growley »

Looks good Andrew. What's the diameter of your tenon vs shank, and did you use delrin or not?

Brian.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Good one!
andrew

Post by andrew »

I've been using hypodermic tubing (stainless) for thin shanks. The shank is under 1/2" diameter if I remember correctly.

You guys would laugh if you saw how I was cutting this stuff. It involves a dremel, vice grips, and my lathe. Process makes me squirm but gives really clean cuts and no tube distortion.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Good looking pipe Andrew. A copper pipe cutter works well for cutting stainless tubing accurately and quickly. You'll have to clean up the inner diameter with a micro round file or something because it leaves a lip but it's no big deal.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com