Teipen Fantasy Freehand

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Teipen Fantasy Freehand

Post by wdteipen »

Finished this pipe up today (yesterday.) It's the first one since the Chicago Show. Let me know what you think.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ocelot55

Re: Teipen Fantasy Freehand

Post by Ocelot55 »

Gorgeous blast, nice flow, awesome pipe!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
taharris

Post by taharris »

Very nice!

Todd
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Yeah, that's a mighty fine looking pipe Wayne.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Atts purty right dare.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Very, very nice!
BTW, how was the Chicago show for you? I hope you came home empty handed (that is no pipes and a pocket full of loot).
Chas.
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

I love this pipe. great job man. :D

Peter
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Thats an amazing pipe wayne! is it possible it sits without help? love the blast on that one. LOTR book of the century edition? That is the best set I have ever seen.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Thanks fellas. It does sit unassisted. And that is LOTR. :D
Wayne Teipen
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

oklahoma red wrote:Very, very nice!
BTW, how was the Chicago show for you? I hope you came home empty handed (that is no pipes and a pocket full of loot).
Chas.
I only sold one pipe at the show but sold several the following week so I consider it a success. I'm still a nobody in the pipemaking community. Pipe collectors go to the Chicago Show to buy from makers they don't get the opportunity to buy from or meet any other time. I'm not one of them.....yet. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Wayne

from one nobody to another... really nice pipe

james
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

James and Wayne, nobodies? I should say not! I would rather have a pipe from each of you than one from some of the crazily priced danish pipes that are all the trend. I'm sure they would smoke just as well and I would pay less. You two will get there. You're some of the best budding talent on this site.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I'm curious as to how well your web site is working for you. Did the pipes you sold after the show move thru the site or by some other means?
Chas.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Awesome pipe! I love a lot about it, but you achieved one thing in particular that makes my jaw drop: it doesn't look like this pipe should sit because of the length and angle of the shank, but it does. It seems to defy gravity and that, to me, is inspirational.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

oklahoma red wrote:I'm curious as to how well your web site is working for you. Did the pipes you sold after the show move thru the site or by some other means?
Chas.
I sell a decent number of pipes off my website. Most of the pipes sold off my website or were bought through various pipe forums from folks who liked the pipes but couldn't attend the show. Personal websites only work if folks know how to find it so you have to get your work out there by other means. I give out lots of business cards with my web address on it at the shows which helps direct traffic to my website.
Wayne Teipen
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

UberHuberMan wrote:Awesome pipe! I love a lot about it, but you achieved one thing in particular that makes my jaw drop: it doesn't look like this pipe should sit because of the length and angle of the shank, but it does. It seems to defy gravity and that, to me, is inspirational.

Thanks David. It was a bit finicky. The key to getting a sitter to sit outside of having a good design is to make sure that the base is perfectly flat. If any of the edges are even slightly rounded, it won't sit. Having the "foot" on the stem side of the base helped.
Wayne Teipen
Growley

Post by Growley »

Great Pipe Wayne.
meathod

Post by meathod »

That's awesome!
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

Pretty nice, Wayne. Can't believe that thing sits...well done.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

wdteipen wrote:
oklahoma red wrote:Very, very nice!
Chas.
I only sold one pipe at the show but sold several the following week so I consider it a success. I'm still a nobody in the pipemaking community. Pipe collectors go to the Chicago Show to buy from makers they don't get the opportunity to buy from or meet any other time. I'm not one of them.....yet. :lol:
Well, you would have been one if I'd been there. The shaping, texturing and finishing of the stummel is exquisite.

The only thing that strikes me, and it's because I'm an architect, not a pipemaker (yet, hopefully), is the juncture of the shank and bamboo stem. I have learned here that by tradition, most pipemakers seek to get a smoothly flowing line at this meeting of the two materials but the tendency in architecture is to express such a joint. The meeting of two dissimilar materials in a building is the potential site for water and air intrusion due to the differential expansion of the materials. Consequently. it's typically the location for an expansion joint or flashing that makes it very difficult to get a flowing line so it's far more practical to treat the surfaces differently and separate them with a setback or reveal or even the introduction of a third material. Add to that the common axiom of "form follows function" and such joints are usually treated as opportunities to introduce differentiation or expression.

Forgive me if I speak out of turn. I would be overjoyed should I ever make such a nice pipe; I only offer this thought for your consideration to introduce an alternative conceptual approach that might someday be of value. Thank you for sharing your work and reading my words.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker