The 12th pipe I made, Rusticated Half Bent Brandy.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pzhan

The 12th pipe I made, Rusticated Half Bent Brandy.

Post by pzhan »

Hey guys, here is the 12th pipe i made. a Rusticated Half Bent Brandy with boxwood ring.
:D
wdteipen

Re: The 12th pipe I made, Rusticated Half Bent Brandy.

Post by wdteipen »

Very nice pipe, P.Zhan. The bowl shaping and stemwork look great. The only thing I see that could be better is that it appears that the end of the shank rounds off a touch where it meets the boxwood but that's pretty nit-picky. I really enjoy what you've been creating.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I agree with wayne, the pipe is very well shaped and finished. Much better than my 12th. One thing I did notice is the transition to the stem. The entire pipe has a very smooth flowing shape and then in the transition to the stem there is a 1/4" area where the shape goes crazy from briar to boxwood to ebonite. Its like you are driving down smooth pavement and hit 3 deep pot holes in row. Kind of jarring. Like wayne said, it is kind of nitpicky and wouldnt deter me from buying it at all.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Great looking pipe as far as symmetry, finish, design, and fir are concerned. I would just add that I'm not a fan of the light rustication, but that's just my opinion. It looks like it's going to be a very nice pipe for someone.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Regarding the boxwood ring; didn't Kurt post some drawings of how he recessed (countersunk?) a ring so that the rounding Wayne mentioned would not show? I guess the ring would probably be heavier and more pronounced but that wouldn't bother me particularly. Guess I don't mind the occasional speed bump.

I can only hope I make it to 12.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

Thanks for your suggestions and good words. :D
wdteipen wrote:Very nice pipe, P.Zhan. The bowl shaping and stemwork look great. The only thing I see that could be better is that it appears that the end of the shank rounds off a touch where it meets the boxwood but that's pretty nit-picky. I really enjoy what you've been creating.
Wayne, yes, the end of the shank has been rounded off a bit. i have noticed it when i making it. Sometime it is hard to keep it sharp. I will try to improve it next time, maybe put a extra piece of wood at the end to protect it, I remember Todd Johnson mentioned it somewhere. :D
fuchi_jeg wrote:I agree with wayne, the pipe is very well shaped and finished. Much better than my 12th. One thing I did notice is the transition to the stem. The entire pipe has a very smooth flowing shape and then in the transition to the stem there is a 1/4" area where the shape goes crazy from briar to boxwood to ebonite. Its like you are driving down smooth pavement and hit 3 deep pot holes in row. Kind of jarring. Like wayne said, it is kind of nitpicky and wouldnt deter me from buying it at all.

yes, maybe it looks a bit crazy around the boxwood. :wink: But that is what i was trying to do, and make it a bit different from the traditional ones. :mrgreen:
Ocelot55 wrote:Great looking pipe as far as symmetry, finish, design, and fir are concerned. I would just add that I'm not a fan of the light rustication, but that's just my opinion. It looks like it's going to be a very nice pipe for someone.
The rustication was a bit different from what i imagined. I was thinking about make it tighter and deeper. :(
Hudson wrote:Regarding the boxwood ring; didn't Kurt post some drawings of how he recessed (countersunk?) a ring so that the rounding Wayne mentioned would not show? I guess the ring would probably be heavier and more pronounced but that wouldn't bother me particularly. Guess I don't mind the occasional speed bump.

I can only hope I make it to 12.
Sure, there are many ways to hide rounded bit. maybe i will try it next time :D

Thanks again to all of you. it is good to hear some ideas besides the one in my head. :idea:
Please keep them coming. :thumbsup: