7-12 Bulldog

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ocelot55

7-12 Bulldog

Post by Ocelot55 »

Well gentlemen, here is my latest work. This one is notable for several reasons. First this is the first successful stem I have carved by hand. It is made out of that rhinoplastic stuff, which I must say is a breeze to work with. Second this is the first stem that I have successfully integrated a delrin tenon into. I had tried multiple times to get the tenon straight up and down with little to show for it. I also found it difficult to drill a centered hole straight through the delrin. Have a look.

Now the bad news. There are some symmetry problems, especially with the shank and the "roundness" of the bowl. The ring was tough to do with only files. Apparently my needle files are pretty big. The stem looks chunky but my slot is so wide that if I cut it down any more I would put a hole in the stem.

Overall, I pleased of what I learned, but am eager to perfect the technique. Any and all criticism welcome, please.
uniquebriar

Re: 7-12 Bulldog

Post by uniquebriar »

I really like the classy look of this bulldog. Very nice work on the stem to the shank. Keep up the good work looking forward to see more pipe pics in the future.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
Growley

Post by Growley »

I agree, a classic bulldog. At first glance I thought it was an estate pipe you were copying from or something. I don't think I could make as nice a pipe with the limited tools you have.

Great work.

Brian.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Thanks for the comments guys. I know I have limited tools and it is easy to blame imperfections on that fact, but after seeing Kurt's PITH this year I really have no excuse. I've got a long way to go before I'm that good but if you look at my last three bulldogs I think you can tell I'm improving.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

My first reaction was to think, 'jeez, I wish I had a lathe so I could do that.' The reveal is not something I would have even thought to do with only needle files. I'll have to practice on some scraps.

You mention rhinoplastic stuff; is it a material used in nose jobs? If it's really a breeze to work with, I need to learn more about it. I'm going to try and deal with one material at a time; I figured I'd take stem making next semester as long as it's not an 8 o'clock class. Congratulations on your firsts!
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Hudson wrote:My first reaction was to think, 'jeez, I wish I had a lathe so I could do that.' The reveal is not something I would have even thought to do with only needle files. I'll have to practice on some scraps.

You mention rhinoplastic stuff; is it a material used in nose jobs? If it's really a breeze to work with, I need to learn more about it. I'm going to try and deal with one material at a time; I figured I'd take stem making next semester as long as it's not an 8 o'clock class. Congratulations on your firsts!

If you check out the stem work section we have a whole thread on the stuff. It seems like quite a few of us have had success with it. It is also very affordable. Pick up a couple of blanks and try it out.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nice job on the diamond shank and stem; that's a tough one to get right and you did a pretty good job. One thing you could do is grind down a needle file thinner to get a thinner ring. Nice job considering the tools you had to use.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

I agree, great job!
I'm making my first rhodesian with handcarved ebonite stem at the moment but I didn't have the balls to go for diamond shank=) Will have to man up for the next!
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

I see you say you had some symmetry issues with bowl, but there's something about that line on the front of the bowl, running top to bottom, that I'm really liking. Looking good!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Thanks for the positive comments and suggestions guys. Sometimes I get so frustrated at my tool situation that I think about quitting for a few years, but finishing a pipe and seeing it on the shelf or someone fire it up is an incredible feeling. I don't think I could go a few years without it.