Omm Paul with a touch of Danish

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
oklahoma red

Omm Paul with a touch of Danish

Post by oklahoma red »

First off, I want to thank my good friend and pipe maker extraordinaire Carsten Fischer for sending me his design for this pipe. Carsten is a Dane who now resides in Bangkok. The Danish heritage shows in this Omm Paul variant. The version he made is superb. He has kindly supplied me with several designs that I am going to try and emulate in the future.
This one is a first for me in that the finished product has no flaws in the briar! I went thru some sand pits during shaping but they didn't re-appear A good piece of stuff from Mimmo. The interior of the bowl looks a bit gnarly in the shot of the front but it is as smooth as a baby's arse. What appears to be a light spot in the finish at the bottom front in this same shot is a refection from my strobes.
Finish is Behlen Solar-Lux medium wheat over black.
Stem is acrylic with a Delrin tenon.
The inlay in the bottom is red anodized aluminum. I have a YAG laser in my shop that sadly is the wrong wavelength to mark directly on briar but it gets with the program on aluminum. Down side is that I can only do this on pipes with a big flat spot.
Comments are welcome as always.
Chas.

Blueb3

Re: Omm Paul with a touch of Danish

Post by Blueb3 »

Looks really good! Love seeing different shapes!
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

hey I love the shape, its cool how you get the extra height out of the block, how deep does the bowl go?
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

futodugouts wrote:hey I love the shape, its cool how you get the extra height out of the block, how deep does the bowl go?
Thanks.
Tobacco chamber is .750 dia x 1.8 deep.
Chas.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I think that's a very nicely executed pipe, but I would lose the anodized aluminum logo. Lasers are way cool and all but it really detracts from the pipe.

Rad
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I hate to agree with Rod, but the aluminum logo speaks Missouri Meerschaum.
Please pay more attention to the stem shank junction. You have rounding at this area. Don't separate the stem from the pipe when sanding, buffing..........................
Hope Rod was of help.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

RadDavis wrote:I think that's a very nicely executed pipe, but I would lose the anodized aluminum logo. Lasers are way cool and all but it really detracts from the pipe.

Rad
Thanks "Rod".
The making of this pipe was a manufacturing exercise to further my education. The big ol' aluminum disk is a bit tacky but I had to try it. This pipe will be part of my personal collection of experiments as I would never try to clone and sell any of my friend's unique designs.
Chas.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

baweaverpipes wrote:I hate to agree with Rod, but the aluminum logo speaks Missouri Meerschaum.
Please pay more attention to the stem shank junction. You have rounding at this area. Don't separate the stem from the pipe when sanding, buffing..........................
Hope Rod was of help.
Does ba stand for bad ass? How often do you and "Rod" get to meet face-to-face? I'd like to be around one of those sessions.
Any way, the juncture was fine until I got to the buffing and I had to pull them apart. At least there is no daylight between them. I need some narrower wheels.
Hey, I was born in Missouri so watch it bub. :lol: Anybody that has been in business making pipes since 1869 has to be doing something right. They've gone up-scale now and are making free hands for $40 :shock:
At any rate have a great Memorial Day.
Chas.