Bent Apple

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Growley

Bent Apple

Post by Growley »

I just finished this pipe yesterday and figured I'd share it. I was really pleased with the grain.

Take a look.

Thanks for looking.

Brian.
Last edited by Growley on Mon May 28, 2012 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Smoking Yeti

Re: Bent Pot

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Well dear sir, I truly love how the grain turned out. Well played! I'm a big fan of this pipe. A couple stylewise things I'd try, would be to bevel the top of the pipe slightly inward towards the bowl- I mean just a degree or so. That'd really make your edges pop. Another idea(which is a bitch to execute) is a thin thin thin sliver of white cast acrylic spacing the briar and the black ring, and the black ring with the final extension. If that makes sense. HOWEVER regardless of those "critiques" I think this is a damn fine pipe and I love the shaping. That thing really MUST be comfy in the hand.

I love your work!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Dang Brian, that one looks great. My only complaint is that with grain that good I would have used a lighter stain to really make things pop. Great job!
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Nice pipe, and better grain.
Best regards.
Félix

Bonita pipa, y mejor veta.
Saludos.
Félix
Growley

Post by Growley »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Well dear sir, I truly love how the grain turned out. Well played! I'm a big fan of this pipe. A couple stylewise things I'd try, would be to bevel the top of the pipe slightly inward towards the bowl- I mean just a degree or so. That'd really make your edges pop. Another idea(which is a bitch to execute) is a thin thin thin sliver of white cast acrylic spacing the briar and the black ring, and the black ring with the final extension. If that makes sense. HOWEVER regardless of those "critiques" I think this is a damn fine pipe and I love the shaping. That thing really MUST be comfy in the hand.

I love your work!
Thanks for the comments and critique. I like both of your suggestions. I need to get those "wafer thin" rings down like tNd. They do look very attractive. I might try that on my next one. I'm not sure I can get them that thin though. The black ring on this is only 1.8mm. I'd want the whites (in your description) to be about half of that. I'll have to research that a bit and see how thin I can get them.

As for the bevel, I do like a good bevel, but in this case I would have lost all of my plateaux, or at least enough where it didn't make sense to have any.

Thanks for the great comments!

Brian.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sweet man, thats a really nice pipe !
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a good looking pipe, Brian. Nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

No critiques on this one, Brian. That's a great looking pipe. BTW...very glad to see this one not sitting on concrete, :)
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

As far as wafer thin strips, my best advice is a table saw with a nifty jig. http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk79 ... G_6037.jpg It's actually pretty simple once you get the concept. Do a little searching for featherboard jig instructions and I'm sure you can pick up the necessary hardware at any ol' woodworkin' store. Do you have a tablesaw?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Nate

Post by Nate »

Well done sir. Gorgeous apple there. ;)
Growley

Post by Growley »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:As far as wafer thin strips, my best advice is a table saw with a nifty jig. http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk79 ... G_6037.jpg It's actually pretty simple once you get the concept. Do a little searching for featherboard jig instructions and I'm sure you can pick up the necessary hardware at any ol' woodworkin' store. Do you have a tablesaw?
No, unfortunately I don't have a table saw. I'm sure I should be able to do it on my metal lathe. I probably just need to invest in some better cutters.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Nate wrote:Well done sir. Gorgeous apple there. ;)
Is that what it is? LOL. I think I'll just go back to naming them "#1".."#2".."#156".."#157"... and so on.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Growley wrote:
Nate wrote:Well done sir. Gorgeous apple there. ;)
Is that what it is? LOL. I think I'll just go back to naming them "#1".."#2".."#156".."#157"... and so on.
:D
Ironpenny

Re: Bent Apple

Post by Ironpenny »

Nice pipe, Brian!

I'm diggin it.

Chris
“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.”
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

That is a very nice pipe. Probably my favorite work of yours to date. Great job!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

I confess I've had some trouble getting used to these portly pipes but they're definitely growing on me and this seems a particularly cohesive example. The bowl looks well defined but still flows nicely with the rest of the pipe.

And where it may be a little dark for some, I'm reading it as the darker areas being forward so that the lighter areas seem to glow from within. I think it's a winner.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

I think that's a great looking pipe.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Thanks for all the support guys!

Brian.