Egg - Quarter Bent

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Egg - Quarter Bent

Post by jogilli »

Thoughts? I'm loving the grain on this one..

Ocelot55

Re: Egg - Quarter Bent

Post by Ocelot55 »

The grain and the stummel shape are spectacular. To my eye, however, the stem looks too small for the stummel. I guess, to me, the stem looks great and the stummel looks great but they look "off" together.

Still a gorgeous pipe. :mrgreen:
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Man, I really do love your style.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Beautiful James!! As always.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Beautiful work it is; the grain is spectacular. I think if the shank were to flare on the vertical axis similar to the way it flares on the lateral axis, the stem might appear more at home from every angle.

But I'm dying to know what your signature accessory is; is that a prop nut? It is a nice contrast to the warm briar but it doesn't lend scale; maybe something organic in addition?

Picky, picky; my hat is off.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Thanks for the comments folks...

Hudson.. here is some information from CPS.. the question gets asked alot

james

====

As for the metal thingy.. it's a WW I British fuse from an ammuntion round that was shot into the German lines around Ieper Belgum and failed to explod.. Not trying to be funny but the story is so.. Every year since 2002 (minus 1) I go to the 100km (60 miles) van Ieper for the weekend surrounding Ascension Day.. May mostly and sometimes early June... There is a walk around the WWI Battlefields.. Visit Flanders Fields museum and just reflect on what was, what is, and what can or could be. This past year I ventured into the British Book Shop and asked about if the owner had some fuse caps. the cleaned up ones cost aroud 40 - 50 dollars.. he had a bucket full of dirty ones that were pulled from the earth the previous week and sold me two for about 7 dollars.. They are still finding unexploded ammuntion almost daily along the lines in Belguim... I cleaned them up and thought they would make nice props for the photos.. something different I guess, but mainly because the Military has been my life since I was 18.. don't get me wrong.. it's a good life..

anyway... I put them in my pictures... the original intent was to make WWI style pipes.. but it progressed from there since pipes made during the early 1900's were basic shapes to smoke tobacco out of .. until cigarettes encroched on the scene... you don't always get an hour off to grab a smoke in the field.. I used to smoke my pipe on the ships I was on during the evening.. and at most there were 2 to 3 pipesmokers on the ship...

anyway.. probably more than you wanted to know.. but thats the story

james
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

And a good story it is . . . i had no idea. Thanks
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

A classic, with superb grain.
Best regards.
Félix

Todo un clásico, con magnífica veta.
Saludos.
Félix