Pipe Two: A Freehand

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Hudson

Pipe Two: A Freehand

Post by Hudson »

This is also from a kit although I was able to suggest the geometry by e-mailing a photo of a Ben Wade I admired. Doesn't look much like the inspiration but I'm reasonably pleased with the way it turned out. Stock stem that I did trim up and polish; still uncertain if it needs a bend or not.

Comments welcome, of course.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
wmolaw

Re: Pipe Two: A Freehand

Post by wmolaw »

I like it. It does look like it can use a bend.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a pretty good second pipe, Hudson. The only things I see is that the stem is a bit angled downward in relation to the shank and I agree that the stem needs to be bent. Nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thats a good freehand ! The bowl walls are thin towards the back. Not so thin to be a problem, but thinner than the front. More of an aesthetics problem for me than structural.
What are the dark areas that looks like rustication ? That goes a long way to making this such a nice pipe. Gives it a geometric element that matches the squareness of the shank and contrasts against the natural lines of the bowl.
I like it
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nice work on No. 2 Hudson!!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

You should be proud of that one! I think the stem needs a bend, as well. How did you achieve that light rustication? Looks good.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

wdteipen wrote:That's a pretty good second pipe, Hudson. The only things I see is that the stem is a bit angled downward in relation to the shank and I agree that the stem needs to be bent. Nice job.
You're right, I was shaping the shank in relation to the bowl without thinking about the angle of the stem that had already been established. I'm guessing the tenon won't bend with heat; is there any other work-around? I had intended to bend the stem but I got concerned it would only accentuate the disparity of line.

Thanks
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Ocelot55 wrote:You should be proud of that one! I think the stem needs a bend, as well. How did you achieve that light rustication? Looks good.
Thanks, Ocelot. Once I had the shape established, I drew the lines on the stummel with a Prismacolor pencil (oil pastel which will sand off easily enough) then I used my new battery operated Dremel to grind out the areas between the lines, dyed it black with a Q-Tip then sanded it back, removing any black I'd gotten on the lines. It doesn't look at all like the sandblasted finish that inspired it but I like it, it doesn't look too contrived. There were other areas on the pipe that didn't look right with that treatment so I was fortunate to have enough briar to rasp it away. I'm already thinking about ways to expand on the technique with multiple steps of grinding and staining and sanding but I need more than three colors and a more precise method of placing the dye. Also considering using wax as a resist similar to batik. It was certainly great fun to do so I'm glad it looks good to (at least some of) you.

Happy piping!

maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Continue with activity. You're doing fine
I think something ought to double up the mouthpiece.
Best regards.
Félix

Sigue con la actividad. Lo estás haciendo bien
Opino que deberías de doblarle un poco la boquilla.
Saludos.
Félix
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

maxmil wrote:Continue with activity. You're doing fine
I think something ought to double up the mouthpiece.
Best regards.
Félix

Sigue con la actividad. Lo estás haciendo bien
Opino que deberías de doblarle un poco la boquilla.
Saludos.
Félix
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by double up. Google didn't understand either.

Lo siento, no entiendo lo que quieres decir hasta doble. Google no entendía bien.

(Falo muito pouco de português, mas precisa aprender espanhol. Obrigada)

maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Curving the mouthpiece.
Hudson wrote: I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by double up. Google didn't understand either.

Lo siento, no entiendo lo que quieres decir hasta doble. Google no entendía bien.

(Falo muito pouco de português, mas precisa aprender espanhol. Obrigada)
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Nice work!

I agree with others about a bend in the stem, but it's still one heck of a pipe! I'd love to call it my own!
Growley

Post by Growley »

Great for #2. I agree that the stem could use a nice little bend.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Hudson wrote:
wdteipen wrote:That's a pretty good second pipe, Hudson. The only things I see is that the stem is a bit angled downward in relation to the shank and I agree that the stem needs to be bent. Nice job.
You're right, I was shaping the shank in relation to the bowl without thinking about the angle of the stem that had already been established. I'm guessing the tenon won't bend with heat; is there any other work-around? I had intended to bend the stem but I got concerned it would only accentuate the disparity of line.

Thanks
The only thing you could reasonably do is remove briar from the bottom of the bowl and shank but at this point I wouldn't worry about it. Just mark it up as lessons learned for future pipes. It's still a nice pipe as is.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ironpenny

Post by Ironpenny »

I like it Hudson!

More than that, I'd smoke it! :wink:
“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.”
Alden

Post by Alden »

THATS why I like it.... Your rustication reminds me of a grilled steak :D