looking for a couple of blocks of strawberry wood

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
timothy thorpe

looking for a couple of blocks of strawberry wood

Post by timothy thorpe »

hey guys,

I am looking for 1 or 2 blocks of strawberry wood to see whats it like! anyone can spare a few please let me know

thanks
bregolad

Re: looking for a couple of blocks of strawberry wood

Post by bregolad »

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I came across this, and I know pacific madrone is also called strawberry wood.
Like briar, its the burl you want. The thing I'm not sure about is the difference between european strawberry wood and american.

https://www.gilmerwood.com/search_resul ... rds=W26745
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

bregolad wrote: The thing I'm not sure about is the difference between european strawberry wood and american.
To be honest, I'm not too sure. I've seen info saying they are the same and info saying they are completely different. All I can say is madrone (american strawberry wood) smokes great, takes a beating, and handles the heat and moisture well.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

AaronC wrote:
bregolad wrote: The thing I'm not sure about is the difference between european strawberry wood and american.
To be honest, I'm not too sure. I've seen info saying they are the same and info saying they are completely different. All I can say is madrone (american strawberry wood) smokes great, takes a beating, and handles the heat and moisture well.
No toxicity issues, I take it.
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

wmolaw wrote: No toxicity issues, I take it.
Nope, not that I've ever read or experienced. It has a very neutral taste and to be honest I've been thinking that I prefer it to briar. That is of course just my opinion.
taharris

Post by taharris »

I have purchased Madrone Burl at Woodcraft before, but it's not cured.

Maybe try their web site.

You could try drilling out a block and letting it air cure, but it would likely crack as it warped.

Hope this helps.

Todd