First Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
thornock

First Pipe

Post by thornock »

First of all, I would like to thank all the participants of this fine forum for their discussions, their wit, and their willingness to share their knowledge. Many of these threads are not only highly entertaining, but they are also very informative.

For my first pipe, I have chosen to attempt a Billiard. The Billiard is a very classy pipe, as demonstrated by the classy fellows in Figure 1, and I hope that by crafting a classy pipe, I too may appear to have class.

Figure 1. Classy Fellows Smoking Billiards.

Figure 2. I purchased Greek Briar form Tim West.

Figure 3. I drew on the Briar and drilled the Briar with my hand drill.

Figure 4. I fit the shank with a stem from Pipe Makers Emporium. I shaped the tennon by attaching the stem to my hand drill and filing it as it spun.

Figure 5. I cut the block with a hand saw.

Figure 6. No major mistakes yet.

Figure 7. I shaped the Briar on a grinding wheel and then filed and sanded.

Figure 8. I stained the pipe with Fiebings British Tan Leather Dye (British Tan sounds classy).

Figure 9. I then sanded and polished with White Diamond and Carnauba wax.

Figure 10. Pipe side view.

Figure 11. Pipe overhead view.

Figure 12. Pipe side view.

Figure 13. Pipe side view.

Figure 14. Pipe bottom view.

Figure 15. Pipe birdseye view.

Figure 16. Pipe front view.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to comments, criticisms, and helpful suggestions.

Thornock
"All the things of the universe are joined with you who smoke the pipe" Black Elk
maxmil

Re: First Pipe

Post by maxmil »

Continuing with the activity, you have skills.
Improved binding of the mouthpiece and reed.
Best regards.
Félix

Continua con la actividad, tienes aptitudes.
Mejora la unión de la boquilla y la caña.
Saludos.
Félix
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah talk about doing it with willpower and sharp teeth....

The thing that stands out most is the joint of stem to shank - doing things the way you are doing them it's going to be almost impossible to correct that without crazy amounts of work. These things are much easier with a drill press or a lathe.

Shaping is pretty good, a few wobbles, but for a first and a totally hand shaped pipe you are doing well. Looks like a few scratches on the stem yet too.

But it's billiard-y, which is more than lots of guys manage.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

First pipe? Are you kidding?

Man, you did an excellent job, especially considering the tools you have. (I've been there, and still am except I have access to a drill press) You're definitely going in the right direction. The grain on that bowl is awesome too!

My only critique is that now you need to make a bunch more. You've done a great job and now all you need to do is practice, practice, practice!!
thornock

Post by thornock »

Thank you Felix, I will continue on.

Thank you Sas. I kept coming back to the stem/shank joint throughout the pipe-making process and could never seem to get it quite flush. I think, on the next pipe, that will be something I focus on early and intently. I do not see a lathe in my near future. And I will pay more attention to fine sanding on the stem. Thanks.

Thank you Ocelot. There are a few small pits on the surface of the pipe, but overall, I was very pleased with the briar and the grain. I think I lucked out with pipe number1. I will now practice, practice, practice.
"All the things of the universe are joined with you who smoke the pipe" Black Elk
taharris

Post by taharris »

Nicely done.

Especially for a first pipe.

Todd
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Thornock,

I also make pipes without much tooling (I have a fork and a hand drill though) and stem/shank is the #1 hardest thing for me. Try squaring both sided up with a forstner and using a delrin tenon. The first couple might suck, but after that you'll be amazed at the outcome. What kind of grinding wheel are you using... I've never seen briar charred like that. Glade to see it sanded off though.

Serious question, is that common?
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
thornock

Post by thornock »

Thanks for the suggestion. It is a Black & Decker grinder used for sharpening tools. It makes the shop smell like burning wood but the charring sands off quickly and easily.

SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

I use a couple microplanes to shape pipes, but I'm pretty sure most folks who use power tools use a disc with sandpaper on it instead of an abrasive wheel like that. Might be something to look into? If it aint broke, don't fix it? Honestly don't know if it's a problem at all... just seemed weird to me, but then again I don't use a wheel at all so I'm honestly not very knowledgeable about this.
Hello, I'm #1312.
meathod

Post by meathod »

That is an awesome first pipe. You have a natural talent.
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

That is a very nice first pipe ! I do have one question for you. My old shovel just hasnt been digging this black clay we have in Texas quite as fast as I like. Is there any way I could send it to you for a quick sharpening ? I would do it myself but I just dont feel safe
Thanks in advance.
Also, those are great photos. Natural light ?
thornock

Post by thornock »

Thank you Todd and thank you Meathod.

Alden, shovel sharpening is a very serious business, but I would be happy to sharpen your shovel for you. You may have noticed that I have access to a very nice shovel-sharpening bench grinder. I know how to use it because the toggle switch has been clearly labeled. Over the years, I’ve participated in Shovel-Sharpening web forums where I have learned a great deal about the art. I’ve been hit with the handle several time and lost a few teeth, but a finely sharpened shovel is worth the sacrifice.
Alden

Post by Alden »

thornock wrote:Thank you Todd and thank you Meathod.

Alden, shovel sharpening is a very serious business, but I would be happy to sharpen your shovel for you. You may have noticed that I have access to a very nice shovel-sharpening bench grinder. I know how to use it because the toggle switch has been clearly labeled. Over the years, I’ve participated in Shovel-Sharpening web forums where I have learned a great deal about the art. I’ve been hit with the handle several time and lost a few teeth, but a finely sharpened shovel is worth the sacrifice.
I tried using a bench grinder without a toggle switch, and my shovel was readily caught between the wheel and guard. And I...... didn't tell no one ?? I don't know, I just wish they put a warning on it or something.
Shovel is on its way, thanks again !
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

No, offering to sharpen your wife's shovel isn't just a Canadian sex act, it's also a great anniversary gift!
Hello, I'm #1312.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Congratulations on your first, and a billiard to boot (extra points). My hat is off to your bravery in the face of appearingly insurmountable odds due to power tool deprivation. One of these days . . .

Good job all around; I look forward to your cutty.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

I have the same old vice in my shop, came with the farm.

thinking about a faster way to sand with what I see in the photos if you pick up a drill chuck sanding wheel you could wrap that drill and put it in the vice.. if it has a lock on the trigger. I cut some inner tube rubber cut into strips worked good for wrapping and clamping my dremel tool and drill down for sanding and buffing small stuff hands free. sanding wheel on drill press or lathe or one side of your shovel sharpener would be much better.

nice pipe thats one of my favorite firsts on here. I completely wrecked my first pipe and haven't been brave enough to post one yet. ;)